SOLVED Question about config file and FreeNAS reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

traderjay

Explorer
Thanks to all the helpful folks here, my FreeNAS passed the 1 year milestone today running flawlessly. In between, I had to replace a failed drive in a pool and it went without a hitch following the documentation. I recently acquired a pretty cheap HGST SLC SAS Enterprise SSD and would like the migrate my boot drive to that SSD for improved long term reliability. The current boot drive is running off a el cheapo consumer grade OCZ SSD that is unfortunately 20GB Bigger than the enterprise SSD. I guess the only way is to reinstall FreeNAS and restore from the config file.

I did quiet a bit of customization especially for the plex media server and I am worried that reinstalling means having to redo the config from scratch - or does the config file ensure a 100% identical backup of the system?

Any other ways that I can migrate the boot?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Save a current copy of your config. Reinstall FreeNAS and upload your config. When you reboot it will be retored to its previous state.

traderjay

Explorer
Save a current copy of your config. Reinstall FreeNAS and upload your config. When you reboot it will be retored to its previous state.

Thanks for the reply - Will this create a carbon copy of my existing system with everything restored? INcluding my PLex Media server settings ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, all the settings will be restored. The only thing that wouldn't be restored would be encryption keys, if your pool is encrypted.

traderjay

Explorer
Thanks all this worked flawlessly! Still hard to fathom at how easy it is to restore the system and the resiliency. While upgrading the HDDs, I did some cable management to tidy them up and accidentally left one SATA drive UNPLUGGED. Upon restoring the config file, I immediately got a ZFS Degraded warning and my heart skipped a beat. Checking over the cabling I discovered my mistake and plugged it back in and now everything is up 100% with double redundancy on the boot drive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.