Question on config location

melloa

Wizard
Guys,

An user has lost the server boot drive and has not saved the config (*). Is it possible to install on a new boot environment, without formatting, and retrieve the config file from the old directories?

(*) I know ... we keep saying to save after any changes ... :mad:

Redcoat

MVP

melloa

Wizard

melloa

Wizard
From the manual, I only found something that could be used:
Fig. 2.5.3 Preserve and Migrate Settings
Press Enter. FreeNAS® indicates that the upgrade is complete and a reboot is required. Press OK, highlight 3 Reboot System, then press Enter to reboot the system. If the upgrade installer was booted from CD, remove the CD.
During the reboot there can be a conversion of the previous configuration database to the new version of the database. This happens during the “Applying database schema changes” line in the reboot cycle. This conversion can take a long time to finish, sometimes fifteen minutes or more, and can cause the system to reboot again. The system will start normally afterwards. If database errors are shown but the web interface is accessible, go to Settings ‣ General and use the UPLOAD CONFIG button to upload the configuration that was saved before starting the upgrade.

This assumes the new install will find the config, but if it doesn't, no guarantee we can manually find.

Either way ... will try to do some tests later for own education.

Redcoat

MVP
I just read Maurilio's posts.

Looks like he'll have to follow what i wrote in #44.

Find the saved config file for his version in /var/db/system/configs-averylargenumber, open it and copy the appropriate (latest I imagine) .db file in it, then write that file to /data in place of freenas-v1.db (rename the copied file).