How can I read the config file database?

diedrichg

Wizard
The backstory:
I upgraded from 11.2-U7 to 11.3-RELEASE. I ran into an issue where I couldn't access the web UI. Navigating the shares and IPMI were no issue. It didn't occur to me to just roll back and attempt GUI access. So I stayed on 11.3 and reverted the database to defaults via IPMI. This then gave me GUI access. (I wasn't too heartbroken because my configs have been upgraded through all the versions ever since about ¿9.1. It was probably a good thing to clear out any gremlins.)

The question:
Anyways, this of course got rid of my SMART, scrub and CRON schedules.
  • Is there a way to read the config database on a client machine without rolling back to 11.2-U7 and loading the pre-update config?
  • If I DO do that, would that cause any latent issues for rolling forward to 11.3 and reloading my new, fresh config?
  • FreeNAS 11.3-RELEASE
  • Supermicro X10SLM-F-O uATX
  • Intel Xeon E3-1270 v3
  • Kingston 32GB (8GB x 4) ECC w/Hynix DRAM, 1333MHz, 1.5V - KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
  • (4) WD Red 2TB in RaidZ2
  • Boot drive: Supermicro 16GB SATADOM - SSD-DM016-PHI

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You can copy the old database out of the pre-upgrade snapshot by cp /.zfs/snapshot/<snapshot-name/data/freenas-v1.db /path/to/share/ and then copy it onto your client via normal filesharing protocol.

diedrichg

Wizard
You can copy the old database out of the pre-upgrade snapshot by cp /.zfs/snapshot/<snapshot-name/data/freenas-v1.db /path/to/share/ and then copy it onto your client via normal filesharing protocol.
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I have my 11.2-U7 config, I just don't know what software to use to read it outside of FreeNAS (short of restoring the config).

@anodos since I've got your attention, what's the deal with changing the media user's ID to 8675309 (yes, I understand the reference)?!

Last edited: