proper way to create zpool

incognito

Cadet
Hello everyone - what is the best method for me to create my zpool?

45 x 8TB drives - where I get lost is how to properly create this array with performance in mind.

I select all 45 drives, press the arrow but when I select mirror it shows the capacity of only 1 drive for the max size. I feel silly because I must be missing something small.

Arubial1229

Dabbler
Select an even number of drives (44)

D

dlavigne

Hello everyone - what is the best method for me to create my zpool?

45 x 8TB drives - where I get lost is how to properly create this array with performance in mind.

I select all 45 drives, press the arrow but when I select mirror it shows the capacity of only 1 drive for the max size. I feel silly because I must be missing something small.

It sounds like you're creating a 45-wide mirror rather than striping a bunch of smaller mirrors?

What is your use case?

Have you read the ZFS Primer in the Guide?

Arwen

MVP
@incognito,
From what I remember of the FreeNAS GUI, (only did the pool create once, years ago), you do it based on vDev. So something like this would work;
  1. Select 9 drives
  2. Select RAID-Z2
  3. Create pool / initial vDev
Then you go back and basically repeat the steps 4 more times. But, adding the new vDevs to your same pool. Check between each step to make sure you got what you expected.

Your question on performance is lacking detail. As @dlavigne asked, what is your use case?

One last comment. ZFS is really different. It's best to understand it's configuration, implementation, backup and using it. Not all the tedious details, but enough that you understand how to support a FreeNAS computer. Some people tend to think the NAS will "just do the right thing" or "manage it's self". Neither is true, and never has been.