New Freenas Zpool setup questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G Brown

Dabbler
Hello community!

I am setting up a freenas box and have a question or two.

ZPOOL SETUP?

I have ordered 4x WD 4 TB Red disks. One way would be to create a zPool constructed from 2 mirrored vdevs. Another way would be to construct a zpool from one raidz2 vdev. Each zpool would have different characteristics. For the 4 TB red discs, which have a maximum bandwidth of 146 megabytes per second, and maximum IOPS of about 100 per sec., we have the following choices:

2 mirrorP1 vdevs
pool read IOPS400
pool write IOPS100
pool max read MB/s584
pool max write MB/s292
MTTDL1.00E+06

1 raidz2 vdev
pool read IOPS100
pool write IOPS100
pool max read MB/s292
pool max write MB/s292
MTTDL1.00E+10

Where MTTDL is the mean time to data loss. Because the zpool constructed from 2 mirrored vdev's has less parity protection, it is more likely (10000x) to lose all of its data than the zpool constructed from one raid Z2 vdev.

Do those numbers look approximately correct?

This will be served externally through 1 Gb ethernet, so if the system can saturate the network there might not be a great deal of difference between differently constructed zpools. However, eventually I "Absolutely must virtualize FreeNAS!" (AMVF), but nothing with super IO demands, and of couse I can add a new pool of mirrored SSDs. I will probably go with the raidz2 single vdev. When it is time to replace the disks (2020?), I will probably use a vdev of 3x 8TB in a triple mirror.

Does the raidz2 seem about right for Small Office/Home Office nas?

Would there be any significant difference in zpool fragmentation based on the above 2 methods?

Another question, when people AMVF, do they raid1 the exsi data store? Any body use something like this?

http://www.raidon.com.tw/RAIDON2013/enweb/en_product_web/en_intank/en_iR2420-2s-s2.html

Thanks!

Parts: case, Supermicro X10SL7-F, E3 1230v3, Seasonic 360 Watt PSU, 16GB ram, 4x WD 4TB Red sata disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.