Proper way to add 2 "hot spare" drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimmy6996

Explorer
Good morning community ... I've scoured the forums and google, and simply haven't been able to find any concrete info here, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

My deployment has a bunch of mirrors put together for my large drive. I wanted to back that up with 2 drives in the system available as hot spares.

I am able to add the first spare to the volume with no trouble. When I add the 2nd drive however, the spares end up showing up as a "Stripe". At least from the GUI side it looks that way.

upload_2017-5-16_6-13-58.png

Though it doesn't really look that way from the CLI
upload_2017-5-16_6-15-12.png

I recently had a failed disk in the mirror set, and the system did automatically steal one of the stripe hot spares, and piped it in to replace the failed disk. After resilver was complete, my system was still in alarm, because while the mirror-0 set that was missing a disk got rebuilt, now you saw the spare stripe set showing an alarm because it was missing a disk.

Maybe this is completely normal behavior, and if it is, it's just my lack of interpreting the cosmetic side of things.

I went in yesterday, physically replaced the bad disk, went to GUI, and did a replacement of the disk is mirror-0 that was the "hot spare" disk, with the newly replaced disk that I installed, The system resilvered again, and put the volume in a good state. However, it dropped the 2nd "hot spare" leaving it "available to add" to system again. I'm sure this was the result of me kicking a manual "replace".

I simply added it back as a hot spare, and here we are ... In good state ...

So my questions here are ...

1) did I add my spares to the volume in a correct manor?

2) if I did, and the alarmed "spare stripe" is normal, what would have been the right way to add the spare back to the pool? Should I have done a "replace" on the missing GUID in the spare stripe? thus adding the new physical disk back to the spare stripe by replacing the missing item?

Basically, if I've added the spares correctly, I feel like I did an extra resilvering, that could have been avoided. the hot spares don't always have to be "da5p2 and da6p2". It can float around the chassis as drives fail over time.

I'm just very scared to every tough anything on this system, because it back ends a VMware filesystem, so a mistake will make my night a disaster! LOL!

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.