Add Hot Spare to Boot Pool

macmuchmore

Explorer
Hi - I have 2 NVME drives for my mirrored boot pool (11.3-U3.2). I realize the boot mirror can only consist of 2 drives per the documentation. However, I would like to add a SATA SSD as a hot spare to the boot pool. Is this possible? The FreeNAS® 11.3-U3.2 User Guide seems to only address adding a hot spare to a standard pool (unless I am missing something). If it is possible, could someone point me in the right direction for accomplishing this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

macmuchmore

Explorer
Could someone please confirm that I can or cannot use a hot spare on the boot pool? If I can, is there documentation I can review for this? Thanks!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Could someone please confirm that I can or cannot use a hot spare on the boot pool? If I can, is there documentation I can review for this? Thanks!
My honest answer is: I don't know. And to my knowledge, no one has ever asked this question before... :smile:

In any case, it's not really necessary to install a hot spare for your boot pools because it's very simple to recover in the unlikely event both of your NVME boot drives were to fail -- just re-install FreeNAS to new boot media and apply your saved configuration. This is why it's critical that you keep safe copies of your configuration somewhere off your FreeNAS machine. I have written a resource that includes a script for this purpose, or you can always save a copy of your configuration using the GUI whenever you make changes.