Cold or hot spare*?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom239

Dabbler
Hello,
I read in the documentation that there was a bug with the use of hot spare.
So , is the following possible*?*:
Suppose you have a pool, raidz1 or 2 connected in sata. Suppose you have also a “spare” disk which connected to ANOTHER sata port that those of the pool.
Suppose now a disk failure in the pool and you are far from home, so you cannot change the faulty disk.
Is it possible to rebuild the pool even if the 'spare' disk is on another sata port (assuming the spare disk is just on standby and can be powered of course),
This would be useful because you don't have to wait to be back home to change the disk and to begin to rebuilt.
Thanks
Dominique

paleoN

Wizard
There aren't any hot spares under FreeBSD. They are warm spares.

Just run with raidz2 that way the "spare" is already resilvered into the pool.

dom239

Dabbler
Cold or hot spare?

There aren't any hot spares under FreeBSD. They are warm spares.

Just run with raidz2 that way the "spare" is already resilvered into the pool.

First of all thanks for your quick answer.
However I don't know what to think, because in freenas documentation I can read :
"Spare: will create a hot spare that is only used when another disk fails. Hot spares speed up healing in the face of hardware failures and are critical for high mean time to data loss (MTTDL) environments. One or two spares for a 40-disk pool is a commonly used configuration. Use this option with caution as there is a known bug in the current FreeBSD implementation. This will be fixed by zfsd which will be implemented once it is committed to FreeBSD.".
So is it warm or hot ? and mainly is it fixed or not? Do you know?
Thanks
Dominique

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Last time I heard it is NOT fixed. So your drives will be "warm". Personally, I like to keep my spares in a box. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.