Auto Mount Hot Spare

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Hello,

Some time ago I looked into having a hot spare that would automatically mount, but I was told that FreeNAS did not (at least at the time) support auto mounting hot spares.

Does FreeNAS support auto mounting a hot spare?

Thanks,
Chris

gpsguy

According to the release notes in the documentation, it was added after the initial release of 9.3. Given that it didn't work for so long, I can't remember if there's been any forum discussions about it finally working.

"Support for hot spare drive replacement has been added. If you have spare drives in your pool, and a drive fails, FreeNAS® should automatically remove the failed drive from the pool and replace it with the spare."

Mlovelace

Guru
I had a drive fail on Wednesday night last week and had to swap to the spare in the GUI. I can attest that the latest version's "hot spare" isn't functioning as advertised. That said, its worth having a spare on board so you can swap to it without having to be on-site.

CLSegraves

Explorer
That's unfortunate (that hot spare isn't functional).

For me, my NAS is at home so I'm "on-site" every evening, so physically swapping isn't really an issue. It would just be nice to be able to have the system monitor and take care of itself automatically.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It has worked. I don't know if it's working right now. But we did have a disk drop out sometime after 9.3 first came out and it just magically went and replaced the drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As jgreco said, results have been mixed. Please do enable it, but please don't rely on it yet. When you have any pertinent feedback, please share it with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.