SOLVED Any way to remove Hot Spare in GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
Hey guys,

Cleaning up my pool some, as I've got a bit more time on my hands these days. When I first created the pool, in 2011 or so, I did a 6-disk RaidZ2 setup the a 7th disk as a Hot Spare. Don't even remember who advised me to do that (as I recall, there was a HUGE thread on ArsTechnica about FreeNAS, I think that's where I got the idea). Didn't know at the time that Hot Spares weren't even supported.

Anyway, flash forward today : I want to use that hard drive in my back-up box. Couldn't find anything in GUI to remove or detach hot spare, so used zpool remove command to remove it. So far so good, but GUI still shows the disk :

http://imgur.com/KSFItBN (ada7 was it)

Big deal? If so, how do I remove? I didn't really like doing it via CLI, as it was kinda "behind GUI's back" but didn't know another way....

Cheers!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The GUI still shows the disk because either:

1. You removed the disk from the system, but the hardware you have does NOT support hotswap or the driver FreeBSD uses doesn't support hotswap, so the disk is still attached until you reboot.
2. You haven't physically removed the disk from the system.

SilverJS

Patron
You, Sir, are correct once more : Not sure about the applicability of #1 to my system, but #2 certainly is accurate. I imagined FreeNAS would ignore disks that are "dormant" - but the evidence is against me, as I have a 500 Gb drive in there (visible in screenshot) that's not used for anything, and FreeNAS does show it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.