Prompt for authentication when accessing via \\hostname\ unless hostname is "freenas"

Status
Not open for further replies.

samj

Cadet
Hi,

I am new to these forums, I have been searching but I can't find an answer to my problem.

At my work we have just converted our Openfiler device to FreeNAS. We are running Active Directory and CIFS. We have a 3TB zfs volume with a number of datasets each with a single CIFS share. AD is working according to all tests we can find.

Our problems started when we tried to access the system via the hostname we had configured during setup, "actfs01". If we try to access the system using \\actfs01\, \\actfs01.domain.local\ we get prompted for a username and password. The only username and password that works is the AD admin user which is set as the owner of the dataset, other valid AD username and password combinations fail. However, if we access the system using it's ip address, \\10.0.0.6\, or \\freenas\, or \\freenas.intranet.local\ the system works perfectly, no authentication popup appears. AD authentication appears to be working when accessed this way becuase if a user tries to access a share when they are not the owner or a member of the group (AD) then they are denied access as they should be, users who are members of the group are correct allowed to access the share.

We have noticed that /etc/rc.conf and /etc/local/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf both still have "freenas" as the hostname, changing these (in /conf/base/etc/) and rebooting seems to have no effect.

I should also mention that when we access the system using \\freenas\ this is only an alias in DNS, DNS is correctly configured to actfs01, and the FreeNAS server is still set to actfs01 as the hostname.

We initially had this problem in 8.0.3, then rebuilt in 8.0.2 with the same result.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 1_SysInfo.JPG
    1_SysInfo.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 2_AD-Settings.JPG
    2_AD-Settings.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 3_CIFS-Settings.JPG
    3_CIFS-Settings.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 4_Dataset-permissions.JPG
    4_Dataset-permissions.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 5_rc-conf.JPG
    5_rc-conf.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 6_avahi-daemon-conf.JPG
    6_avahi-daemon-conf.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 264
G

gcooper

Hi,

I am new to these forums, I have been searching but I can't find an answer to my problem.

At my work we have just converted our Openfiler device to FreeNAS. We are running Active Directory and CIFS. We have a 3TB zfs volume with a number of datasets each with a single CIFS share. AD is working according to all tests we can find.

Our problems started when we tried to access the system via the hostname we had configured during setup, "actfs01". If we try to access the system using \\actfs01\, \\actfs01.domain.local\ we get prompted for a username and password. The only username and password that works is the AD admin user which is set as the owner of the dataset, other valid AD username and password combinations fail. However, if we access the system using it's ip address, \\10.0.0.6\, or \\freenas\, or \\freenas.intranet.local\ the system works perfectly, no authentication popup appears. AD authentication appears to be working when accessed this way becuase if a user tries to access a share when they are not the owner or a member of the group (AD) then they are denied access as they should be, users who are members of the group are correct allowed to access the share.

We have noticed that /etc/rc.conf and /etc/local/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf both still have "freenas" as the hostname, changing these (in /conf/base/etc/) and rebooting seems to have no effect.

I should also mention that when we access the system using \\freenas\ this is only an alias in DNS, DNS is correctly configured to actfs01, and the FreeNAS server is still set to actfs01 as the hostname.

We initially had this problem in 8.0.3, then rebuilt in 8.0.2 with the same result.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

How are you trying to access the share (from a Mac or a Windows machine)? /etc/rc.conf's hostname entry is overridden with the setting in /var/tmp/rc.conf.freenas BTW...

kr55

Dabbler
Hi, I wondered if you resolved the problem?

I'm getting a similar issue with a test set up where i've just changed the hostname to freenasX, i don't have a dns alias record, just a dns record, but i'm getting the prompt as you describe in the original post. I've changed the system name in the global network config and both the CIFS and AD configs. The AD computer name is updated also. Is there a 'proper' way of renaming freenas or should that be enough?

ithank

Cadet
In know that this is digging up an old thread, but I'm wondering whether you've found a resolution?

We've just started experiencing the same issue as the original poster. Our system, however, has been stable and working for about 5 months (read no configuration changes lately). Today, people are getting prompted for a login when trying to access a CIFS share from a Windows client. Entering the domain login information fails. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.