Mixed authentication

faxfan2002

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've had a search but can't seem to find a clear answer on this (new to freenas using version FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1) -

I've setup freenas and joined my AD, everything in AD and see the correct shares etc. so this is working well.

I've created a user on the freenas system, let's say "joe". When I try to browse to the freenas server from a non-AD windows 10 PC I get prompted for authentication, I try to connect as "joe" but get an incorrect username / password. I can login as a domain user though and view shares.

I've also created a SMB share with "guest" access but this isn't visible (I assume because of the required authentication above).

Q: once freenas joins AD does it pass all SMB authentication to the AD (it seem to do so)?
Q: Is it possible to create a "pubic" / non-authenticated SMB share visible to non AD users?

Thanks for your time!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi All,

I've had a search but can't seem to find a clear answer on this (new to freenas using version FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1) -

I've setup freenas and joined my AD, everything in AD and see the correct shares etc. so this is working well.

I've created a user on the freenas system, let's say "joe". When I try to browse to the freenas server from a non-AD windows 10 PC I get prompted for authentication, I try to connect as "joe" but get an incorrect username / password. I can login as a domain user though and view shares.

I've also created a SMB share with "guest" access but this isn't visible (I assume because of the required authentication above).

Q: once freenas joins AD does it pass all SMB authentication to the AD (it seem to do so)?
Q: Is it possible to create a "pubic" / non-authenticated SMB share visible to non AD users?

Thanks for your time!
If you're joined to AD you should authenticate using "<netbiosname of FreeNAS server>\<username>" i.e. "FREENAS\Joe" as your username.