Problems with DDNS and SSH

siropmoss

Dabbler
Hi, well I have configured my NAS and my dynamic DNS at duckdns.org. I also have configured SSH in the NAS, and port forwarding (22), as well as DDNS, in my router.
However, I cannot access by ssh to the server remotely using the ddns.
Any help?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is hideously vague, there isn't really much to go on here. You're probably going to have to provide additional information.

Does your hostname look up correctly and resolve to your NAT gateway's external IP, when you query the name using Google's 8.8.8.8 resolver?

If not, what does it resolve to? Are you behind a CGN?

Does the NAS show that it is listening on port 22 (use "netstat -an" to look for an entry for tcp4 and *:22)?

When you attempt the SSH, where are you doing it from? Some NAT gateways will not do hairpin translations, so if you are not doing it from a point outside your network, it may not work.

When you attempt the SSH from outside the network, does tcpdump reveal any corresponding traffic?

You haven't really provided much to go on. What are you using for a NAT gateway (the thing commonly but incorrectly referred to as a "router")? Where are some screenshots of what you've configured that would maybe be helpful.

siropmoss

Dabbler
answering to your first question, i do not know how to use Google´s 8.8.8.8 resolver.
I can access SSH by the port 22 connected to the same network as the NAS. I access the SSH using PITTY and filezilla. I have also tried to attempt the SSH connected to another network but i can´t connect, none traffic is revealed.
I have configured the port forwarding on my router, opening the port 22 to my NAS ip.
here is a screenshot of my router port forwarding configuration.

Attachments

• capture_20210201190108162.bmp
    5.9 MB · Views: 196

rvassar

Guru
When troubleshooting ssh, it's always a good idea to throw some verbosity flags in the command line and see how the handshake is proceeding. Ala:

ssh -vvv <My_Host>

This will quickly tell you if the port is open, if there's a DNS resolution, or handshake problem, etc...

Now, having said that... Tunneling your NAS ssh port on to the open internet is not a recommended security practice. It will be attacked by hackers, and they will camp on it for days trying to guess users & passwords. If they are successful your system & network will be compromised. Sshd can have it's configuration "hardened", but this is not the the FreeNAS / TrueNAS default.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
To rephrase what @rvassar wrote, unless you know 110% what you are doing, this is a really dangerous thing. I for sure wouldn't dare to have something like this on my infrastructure. Yes, many people open up there NASes to the outside world, and in return you often enough read hackers being successful.

@siropmoss , can you give us some background on your use-case? Perhaps there is an easier and/or safer approach.

siropmoss

Dabbler
Thank you for clearing out me that. I want to access my NAS files from an outside network, so what do you recommend me?
I have searched for it on the Internet but it wasn´t able to do it, and some solutions didn´t work. Opening ssh port for my NAS IP was the best option I find. However, nobody didn't tell me that I was doing so highly dangerous thing.

rvassar

Guru
I have allowed ssh into a hardened host that then has limited access to my NAS. It did not accept passwords at all, used only cryptographic authentication, and lived on a concealed port with a bunch of filtering, etc... This could be setup in a VM on your NAS, but you really need to know what you're doing with both ssh and networking. I found it was more trouble that it was worth, and switched to a VPN solution.

There's a couple plugin's in the "community" category that may help you. OpenVPN will allow you to connect to your home network from remote locations, much like a corporate VPN. The NextCloud plugin might also prove useful, depending on your needs. I have used OpenVPN, but I have not tried NextCloud.

siropmoss

Dabbler
so, could you show me how to do it?. I have read about it but the explication was difficult to understand.
I would be very grateful if you could explain how to configure OpenVPN and access my NAS files remotely.

Heracles

Wizard
I want to access my NAS files from an outside network,

You should then use a service that is designed for that and not for complete remote sysadmin. Nextcloud is designed specifically for that and you should use that one instead of opening SSH to the world.

rvassar

Guru
so, could you show me how to do it?. I have read about it but the explication was difficult to understand.
I would be very grateful if you could explain how to configure OpenVPN and access my NAS files remotely.

I'm afraid I cannot provide that level of support.

siropmoss

Dabbler
You should then use a service that is designed for that and not for complete remote sysadmin. Nextcloud is designed specifically for that and you should use that one instead of opening SSH to the world.
I have already instal nextcloud plugin, but I don´t know how to show my database files in there. I can only upload or download media, not access to my NAS media. How can I access it using nextcloud?

Heracles

Wizard
I don´t know how to show my database files

database file ???

This just not makes any sense...

If you are running a database engine like mysql, you do not expose its files directly. The database server will be listening over the network and you connect to it using its native protocol.

siropmoss

Dabbler
database file ???

This just not makes any sense...

If you are running a database engine like mysql, you do not expose its files directly. The database server will be listening over the network and you connect to it using its native protocol.
What i mean is to access the files that are in a pool i have created

Heracles

Wizard
Ok. There are many options here.

One is to map the dataset inside Nextcloud's jail and then point Nextcloud to it.

Another option is to re-map it over the network from Nextcloud as external storage. You share these over a protocol like NFS and then Nextcloud mount that NFS share. Once mounted in Nextcloud, you can re-publish it easily.

Here, my Nextcloud is a container in a Docker host outside TrueNAS.

The Docker host mounts the NFS share from TrueNAS in /mnt/backend

The container is then configured to mount the local volume /mnt/backend as /var/www/html/data, which is the default root for all data. Every user account is created there and all their data end up in the NAS.

If you do not wish to do the same, you can go in Nextcloud's admin pages and configure an external storage there. You then choose where to mount it and who can access it.

siropmoss

Dabbler
Ok. There are many options here.

One is to map the dataset inside Nextcloud's jail and then point Nextcloud to it.

Another option is to re-map it over the network from Nextcloud as external storage. You share these over a protocol like NFS and then Nextcloud mount that NFS share. Once mounted in Nextcloud, you can re-publish it easily.

Here, my Nextcloud is a container in a Docker host outside TrueNAS.

The Docker host mounts the NFS share from TrueNAS in /mnt/backend

The container is then configured to mount the local volume /mnt/backend as /var/www/html/data, which is the default root for all data. Every user account is created there and all their data end up in the NAS.

If you do not wish to do the same, you can go in Nextcloud's admin pages and configure an external storage there. You then choose where to mount it and who can access it.
I prefer configuring an external storage in Nextcloud. After installing the app external storage, what should i do?

Heracles

Wizard
You should configure it....

Heracles

Wizard
You said that you already have local shares that work, so you can re-use these. Should you wish to configure a new one, you are free to do so...

siropmoss

Dabbler
You said that you already have local shares that work, so you can re-use these. Should you wish to configure a new one, you are free to do so...
I have configured smb, ftp, ssh... I will use some of them

siropmoss

Dabbler
Another question, what url direction should I use to access my nextcloud when i am not connected to the same network as the NAS