Problems when copying certain TIF/JPEG files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireball81

Explorer
Hey guys,

recently, i build myself a nice FreeNAS server based on a Supermicro X11SSL-C, 32GB RAM, and 7xST8000VN0022 (8TB) in a raidz2 vdev.
The server is for backup purposes only and after everything was up and running i started to copy over round about 30TB of data from our production storage to the backup server.

All went smooth and fine except for certain files TIF/JPEG files which for some reason can`t be copied to my backup server.
Trying to sync the files via 3rd party tools gives an access denied error and when i try to do it manually via windows explorer i need to confirm admin permissions first and when i do that
i get the error message that the location is not available (e.g Y:\ is not available...)

FreeNAS version is 9.10.2-U2, SMB service activated.
One dataset with windows acls was created and only one SMB share is created that connects to that dataset.
While all the other files copied over without any problems i wonder what the problem might be.
I tried to set other ACLs on the files (Rw access for everyone) and also tried to rename them but so far nothing worked.

Maybe you have any ideas whats going wrong here. Thanks for you help in advance.

Dennis

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Pure speculation ... perhaps something to do with extended attributes (xattr) on those image files?

Fireball81

Explorer
I couldn`t find a solution so far. I tried various things already, e.g:

- Changed SMB maximum protocol to SMB 2_10 max
- Changed ACLs to Unix (i use Windows ACLs on my shares normally)
- Changed case sensivity of the underlying dataset that the SMB share is assigned to
- Create a new dataset and smb share
- Checked log.smbd and log.nmbd
- Restartet samba and the freenas server several times

Aside from that i picked a few TIFF/JPEG files where copying is still a problem. Went to properties on that files, changed to details and removed any personal information.
Furthermore i tired to changed the file ownership and opened the file permissions for everyone but still everytime i copy the files over by accessing the share via the windows explorer i get to 99% and then i get:
You require permission from "COMPUTER_NAME/"USER_NAME" to make changes to that file.

Copying the files via FTP works fine and i also have a small Synology NAS and copying the files by accessing the Synology NAS shares through the windows explorer also works fine.

I really wanna find out what the problem here is, i got no clue yet, aside that it seems to be samba related.
I am still very grateful for any suggestions on how to solve this.
Thank you.

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.