Help performing a backup with rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonandermb

Explorer
I don't really know where to ask for help, so I'm trying you, guys, see if I can find out what's going on with this:
I have lots of files stored on my freenas box, and I access them via afp, perhaps in order to be a little more Mac friendly, since I operate on this share with my Mac Pro
It works wonderfully, I must say, but I have some problems performing backups.
I went simple, since I cannot afford to have another remote server storing the data, so I bought a 4TB USB disk, formatted it on HFS and rsync once in a while with this command:

rsync -aEv --progress /Volumes/Jobs/ /Volumes/BackupJobs

The initial rsync went fine: It took hours, but it went like a charm.
Now, the problem is when after some days I try to perform another backup.
So, I plug the USB, mount the drive under the same forlder and run the very same rsync command.
Now, instead of having the new and modified files copied over, I get lots of them more. I don't think I get all of them, but certainly, not only the ones I modified or created new. Sometimes, even files i accessed last time a few years ago.
So, where can the problem be? I know it's not the optimal way of performing the backup, but I ask here because maybe when I store files on freenas, there are some attributes that get modified and then, when copied over to the disk, they get lost, and the next time the rsync command compares them, they don't match, and get copied over again,a s if they were different.
I don't know if changing over to smb and dropping afp could be the solution, but I'm afraid there could be some issues if I do so, because most of the documents are indesign and illustrator documents with liks to other files, and the folder structure might be different on sbm than afp. I say this because some folders, when accessed via smb are shown like "0RDC73~N": Shortened to eight chars.

I use the same command to perform backups of a smb share via windows to another external usb on a windows machine.
I must insist that the backup is performed from a remote computer: The external disk is NOT plugged to the FreeNAS box, but to the client computer accessing to the share via network.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.