Size of directory less than size of contents when browsed from Windows?

stewartLG

Dabbler
I'm migrating to a new FreeNAS server and moving over files. I'm checking to make sure amounts tally before decommissioning the original servers, and I'm having something odd happen where the total size of a directory doesn't equal it's contents, at least when I get properties on it from Windows 10.

I have a directory I just copied from another in another dataset. Call it "DirA". It's shared via SMB to a Windows 10 box. When I get the properties on DirA, Windows it says it is 1.5 GB, 342 files. When I go into DirA and get properties on all it's contents (DirA/one, DirA/Two, etc.), I get 6.09 GB, 1,368 files. The properties agree at both levels on the original dataset, but not in the latest copy.

I did have some permission issues with rsync when first copying between datasets locally, so I've given ACL access to "Domain Users" at both the dataset and Windows share level, and forced it recursively at both levels. I've rebooted the FreeNAS server and the Windows 10 box. All the files appear to be there, and the Windows 10 box seems to have access to them, but the tally at the root directory is wrong.

All ideas appreciated.