Problem accessing my NAs after adding an extra NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
Not sure in which section to post this and skipping the hardware details as I have a feeling its me overlooking something very basic. Running latest 9.3 stable freeNAS version.

So here goes the story:

I have a HP NL 54 and was using its onboard NIC. Yesterday I plunked an extra dual Intel Gigabit NIC into it and tried to set one of those 2 to DHCP via the GUI but I got the "you cannot have 2 adapters with DHCP" errors and when trying to set the DHCP NIC to static I couldn't select the netmask as other users also reported i.e. https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...from-dhcp-to-static-ip-on-lagg0-in-gui.40860/

So today I took the NAS to work (as I don't have a screen/keyboard) at home, connected everything, logged into the console and set my OLD DHCP NIC to static, and the other 2 new NICs to static/DHCP, rebooted and could access the Web Gui via the new NIC + DHCP.

In the Web Gui I checked if the Gui was bound to a single IP but it was not, it was set to 0.0.0.0 so I thought all would be fine and went home.

Now I'm stuck here at home without a screen and no matter which NIC I plug into the NAS isn't reachable via Web Gui, Ping or SSH :-(

But it shows up fine with all 3 NICs in my home router, so I know its there :smile:

Any ideas what I could be overlooking here?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would only plug one Ethernet cable into your new nic then reboot the nas. This should force that nic to get a ip via dhcp. If not use the console to reset the network configuration.

ovizii

Patron
I'm doing that. I only have one network cable available where I am now. No matter into which NIC I plug it in, a few minutes after rebooting I see that machine up in my router so I know it is configured right and when using DHCP its getting an IP.

So how come I cannot access the Web GUI or ping it or SSH? And I could while at work?

Of course I could take it back to work tomorrow and reset the 3 NICs. I've done that today and then reconfigured them. Should I simply chose each NIC and select: reset interface then bring it back home without configuring it at all?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If your network at work is different than your home it won't work. I would just rest the network and see if it just works. I have never had to configure any interface on my 2 freenas servers.

ovizii

Patron
they differ, but they both use DHCP ;-) so I expected a NIC configured with DHCP would work in both places...
Not sure what exactly happens when I chose to "reset" a NIC. Does it get set back into DHCP mode?
Anyway, I might borrow a screen instead of driving my NAS back and forth :-/

Anyway, I am able to test 3 settings at once since i have 3 nics:
a) static IP
b) DHCP
c) unconfigured

gpsguy

You might want to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard NIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ovizii

Patron
Oh, ok, I'll try that next. Not sure about disabling, is there a point? It all worked at work after all.

I'm trying to figure out what else could be wrong, freenas is using the .local domain my router claims a .box domain. Its a home network, now wins or other servers. and it worked before adding the extra NIC.

Will reply tomorrow after further tests.

gpsguy

My thought was to remove the complexity. It's mentioned a couple of times in the thread you referenced.

ovizii

Patron
Sure, I'll give it a try. Btw. I'm not trying to set up a lag, just want to transition away from the onboard NIC to the new one. Will test all of these suggestions this afternoon.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Unless you have a switch that also supports it all you can configure is fail over lag.

ovizii

Patron
Unless you have a switch that also supports it all you can configure is fail over lag.
I don't understand that statement. I plugged in a new Intel card with two NICs and I'm going to plug the ethernet cable out of the onboard nic and into one of these 2 new ones.
That is all I'm looking to do, what has that got to do with a switch or anything else? Am I missing something here?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't understand that statement. I plugged in a new Intel card with two NICs and I'm going to plug the ethernet cable out of the onboard nic and into one of these 2 new ones.
That is all I'm looking to do, what has that got to do with a switch or anything else? Am I missing something here?
You mentioned lagg which involves a switch. Also you shouldn't plug a onboard nic into your PCI expansion nic, that is just strange. Why would you do this?

ovizii

Patron
Ok, so its a misunderstanding. I didn't mention lagg. I only linked ot the thread dealing with lagg as the guy there experienced the same issue with not being able to select a netmask in the dropdown.
As to the other part about onboard NIcs and such, I think you misread: I simply want to stop using the onboard NIC in favor of the PCI expansion NIC.

gpsguy

As I said earlier, I would doable the onboard NIC in the BIOS.

From the console setup menu, option #1, delete the bge0 (onboard Broadcom) interface and configure one of the Intel interfaces. It's probably em0 or em1.

ovizii

Patron
guys, I think I figured it out.
I admit it tooks some time and I had to re-read this thread, the one i linked above and this one: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/multiple-network-interfaces-on-a-single-subnet.20204/ as it explains the problem of having multiple network interfaces on a single subnet.

The point is, it worked at work, as I had 1 NIC unconfigured, 1 set to DHCP and another one with a fixed IP matching my home network NOT the work one.
So obviously as soon as I got home the DHCP NIC clashed with the static IP one.

I'm pretty sure as soon as I get my NAS hooked up to a screen I can reset all 3 interfaces, configure the 2 on the PCI expansion to a lagg and this will be the end of the story :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.