Prevented from adding L2ARC/ZIL after creating pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

pttymuth

Dabbler
Hi All,

I *hope* this isn't a web GUI bug. If someone has tried doing this before, perhaps they could point out something I'm doing thats completely wrong. Otherwise, it seems that I really am being prevented from adding some SSD devices to my existing pool configuration.

In short, I have two SSD drives I would like to add to my zpool. Currently the zpool contains two existing SSD devices for log use and 4 disks arranged in RAIDZ2. When I attempt to add this new pair of SSDs via the volume extender, I am prevented from doing so and the web GUI seems to think that I am attempting to add these as a striped set, which would be problematic because the disks in the pool are RAIDZ2. During the attempt I leave all the Volume Manager options to their defaults except for the 'Volume to Extend' and 'ZFS Extra' choices.

It would be nice to have these devices added. I'm willing to do it via the CLI but I'm worried that if I go googling around and execute just any zpool commands, I might do something wrong. I.e., I'm not certain there are any FreeNAS specific nuances I should be aware of before attempting the CLI route.

Screenshots attached. Guidance sought. Help?
Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 8.06.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 8.06.45 AM.png

pttymuth

Dabbler
Based on what was said in that section 6.3.4, am I to believe that this volume can only be extended by adding (in my case) four additional hard drives and the two additional SSDs I originally intended to add? (i.e., adding another stripe of the same type as the existing vdev)

Thats fine if its the way things work in FreeNAS. The way I understand it, volumes can have logs / caches added any time in other implementations.

D

dlavigne

It's interesting that you are getting the vdev error when adding a log device.

I'm not sure if the redesigned volume wizard for 9.1.0 fixes this assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.