Drives Still Available After Creating Raidz2 Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeME

Cadet
ok, I have 24 x 3TB drives and want to create one large volume. I read around that I should not add all of them to 1 large volume but to create multiple smaller volumes. I created a raidz2 vol01 using 10 x3tb drives, then I created a new vol02 with raidz2 and selected 10 more drives and selected from the drop down "volume to extend". Then I went back to create a 3rd volume just to see what was available and I see that drives 11-20 are still available from the menu. What I'm I doing wrong here? Am I not taking the right approach in creating a large volume?

Stephens

Patron
If you haven't already, please read the FreeNAS documentation. It covers this. Also, if you haven't read noobsauce80's ZFS primer (linked to in his signature).

How'd you decide on 10,10,4 instead of 6,6,6,6 which would have been perfectly sized RAIDZ2 vdevs?

FreeME

Cadet
Hey Stephens, Thanks for the quick reply. I'm already looking over everything again. My concern was seeing the drives available when I already used them in a volume?

Stephens

Patron
DID you use them in a volume? If you go to the shell and type "zpool status -v" what do you see?

Status
Not open for further replies.