Possible Permission Issue, Plex cannot read items in the folders.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I've removed the other mount points for the other datasets e.g. Movies/TV Shows and Music, so set this destination as /config then go into Plex and it'll be there?

View attachment 38303
So in this picture you're mounting your media dataset to /media in the jail.

This isn't meant to be mean but it sure seems like you are struggling to just understand how file paths and directors work. You should find a good guide and copy it to the exact letter. This whole process for you is way too much work. Setting up Plex is like a 5 min task. You are going on 3 days with lots of help.

Jord9857

Explorer
So in this picture you're mounting your media dataset to /media in the jail.

This isn't meant to be mean but it sure seems like you are struggling to just understand how file paths and directors work. You should find a good guide and copy it to the exact letter. This whole process for you is way too much work. Setting up Plex is like a 5 min task. You are going on 3 days with lots of help.

That destination was already set to the /media within the jail...

I'm trying to figure out why Plex cannot see / read the datasets i have set up. As I've set up a SMB & workspace and they work fine, it's just this last bit although it doesn't help with people saying different things - I understand there's always 2 ways of doing things.
(This is the first time I've used FreeNAS, It's not that 'I don't understand how the file paths and directors work', it's that I don't know what's required or needed to be put into place for Plex to read the media from the Pool I've set up? As I've set up that Media dataset within my pool and mounted it to Plex but I'm clearly missing something?)

1588778339546.png

Going back to square one again, I re-link the Plex Libraries to each dataset folder but it cannot see the media within them.

and still saying that the Plex user is non-existent.

1588778436735.png

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That destination was already set to the /media within the jail...

I'm trying to figure out why Plex cannot see / read the datasets i have set up. As I've set up a SMB & workspace and they work fine, it's just this last bit although it doesn't help with people saying different things - I understand there's always 2 ways of doing things.
(This is the first time I've used FreeNAS, It's not that 'I don't understand how the file paths and directors work', it's that I don't know what's required or needed to be put into place for Plex to read the media from the Pool I've set up? As I've set up that Media dataset within my pool and mounted it to Plex but I'm clearly missing something?)

View attachment 38306

Going back to square one again, I re-link the Plex Libraries to each dataset folder but it cannot see the media within them.

and still saying that the Plex user is non-existent.

View attachment 38307
1. Using acl's and jails doesn't usually work well but you can do it.
2. First picture looks perfectly fine. You add each folder listed there too Plex for each media type, movies, TV shows,... ECT.

Jord9857

Explorer
Yeah i already done that in Plex for each type mapped it to each dataset folder, although e.g. the TV Shows dataset folder has items in - it's still showing

What would you suggest using instead of the ACL's then? As it's clearly not working correctly for me in this instance.

1588786012629.png

Whereas, like the Music dataset folder, has nothing it says this.

1588786061494.png

This is what I'm saying, it's almost as if Plex can detect the items in the TV Shows folder but can't read it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
in the jail do a 'ls -l /media' and post the output. And also do a 'ls -l /media/Movies'

Spiceman

Dabbler
Since you have a space in the directory name “TV Shows”, try
Code:
ls -l /media/“TV Shows”

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Jord9857

Explorer
1588836549957.png

1588836579169.png

See the jail just cannot read or see the media within these folders. FreeNAS can see there is items in there.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So when you have nested datesets like you do you can't just share or mount the parent dataset in the jail you have to mount each child dataset. So did your mount points in Plex to be for each child dataset.