Possible Permission Issue, Plex cannot read items in the folders.

Jord9857

Explorer
Hi all,

I think the permissions are wrong or something... Plex is unable to see the items in the Media\Movies & \TV Shows and \Music Folders.

There is nothing in this folder, but there is in the TV Shows folder & it's like it can detect it but can't see/show it...

1588581448190.png

1588581460489.png

Following what @Yorick said, 'You are right that this is likely a permissions issue. You can try and set up a Media share with "pristine" permissions, then compare to yours and see where they differ. I have a video that discusses basic permissions, including for Plex, at https://youtu.be/9Xsgsap0wgQ'

Unfortunately, i get this error message saying '972 - Could not find a user name for this user ID' as of below screenshot.

1588581403163.png

Attachments

• 1588581393886.png
    1588581393886.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 230

Yorick

Wizard
Of course. The user doesn’t exist in the OS, just inside the jail. Just hit Save, and mount that dataset into Plex, create some movies and Tv shows and music folders in there, see how it behaves.

Jord9857

Explorer
Of course. The user doesn’t exist in the OS, just inside the jail. Just hit Save, and mount that dataset into Plex, create some movies and Tv shows and music folders in there, see how it behaves.

1588591627253.png

This is how I've got it set out like. Movies, Music, TV Shows datasets have the same permissions as the Media folder.

What do i need to do?

Yorick

Wizard
Mount them into Plex, wherever you want them in there, and test. With three separate datasets you'll need three separate mounts.

I am running a single dataset with folders, and a single mount. Either will work. I am assuming you have separate datasets because you want to ultimately handle them differently with regards to snapshots and permissions?

Jord9857

Explorer
1588595760805.png

Is this what you mean? If so, I've already 'mounted' them to the folder I set up for each one.

Yorick

Wizard
I suspect we are talking past each other, and I don’t know how to be clearer. I’ll let someone else take it from here.

Jord9857

Explorer
1588601283182.png

Oooh is this what you mean? I just added my TV Shows, Movies and Music Folders and mounted them. Stopped and Started the Jail but still not showing...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If your first picture of the Plex folder your are trying to use it's /media/TV Shows but you are mounting things in your jail as /media.

Fix your locations so they actually exist.

Jord9857

Explorer
If your first picture of the Plex folder your are trying to use it's /media/TV Shows but you are mounting things in your jail as /media.

So where does the destination folder need to be then?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Whatever you want but you have to add the right folder to Plex.

Yorick

Wizard
You are mounting 4 datasets into one location - that won't work.

The easiest way to do this, if you don't need separate datasets, is to get rid of the three separate datasets, and just create folders in the top level dataset called 'media'. The easiest way to create folders is to share the dataset out via SMB.

I see a steep learning curve ahead of you :).

Yorick

Wizard
plex_data is your metadata. See my earlier comment - have one dataset called media, no datasets under it. Mount that to root/media in Plex, create folders in it for Movies etc. As long as permissions are right that'll have you sorted.

Jord9857

Explorer

1588670858498.png

I see what you're saying now, but when i try and mount it to the /root/Media. It cannot see the media folder(s)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
/root is not part of the destination path. In the Plex ui you need to double click "/" then there should be a media folder you can use.

You also have so many other problems. You need to just play around with things until you learn how it works.

1. Your plex_data source for your jail mount point is wrong.
2. You are mounting the media dateset and child folders.... Why? Just mount the media dateset, nothing else.
3. Everything is being mounted to the same destination, you can't do this.
4. You keep navigating the wrong paths.
5. We haven't even gotten close to anything permissions related, you are probably weeks if not months away from getting this to work.

Jord9857

Explorer
/root is not part of the destination path. In the Plex ui you need to double click "/" then there should be a media folder you can use.

1588683109854.png

It was here in the first place but got told that's wrong.

You also have so many other problems. You need to just play around with things until you learn how it works.

1. Your plex_data source for your jail mount point is wrong.

Well i followed the Youtube video that @Yorick mounts this 'plex_data'...

2. You are mounting the media dateset and child folders.... Why? Just mount the media dateset, nothing else.

Following the Plex 'Naming and Organizing your movie media folders' - https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-movie-media-files/ so it find the content without an issue.

3. Everything is being mounted to the same destination, you can't do this.
4. You keep navigating the wrong paths.
5. We haven't even gotten close to anything permissions related, you are probably weeks if not months away from getting this to work.

3. Everything is being mounted to the same destination, you can't do this. - it's not, it's being mounted to the folders within the Media folder so Plex can read each folder?...
4. You keep navigating the wrong paths. - ?
5. We haven't even gotten close to anything permissions related, you are probably weeks if not months away from getting this to work. - I've done the permissions watching another of @Yorick video's which was suggested.

Jord9857

Explorer
1588771461634.png

So Plex cannot see the Media folder from here.

1588771575138.png

From this Mount point i set up, it suggest 'root/config'. Although when i go to either of these nothing is there...
1588771670240.png

1588771690503.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It's just /config