Pool Unknown, Cannon import 'ssd' : I/O error

adam falgout

Cadet
This is my first post here, I've read the rules, please correct me if I don't post any information correctly.

Today I was editing off of my ssd (11 drive RaidZ1) pool, and everything has been working fine for 2+ years when suddenly the pool could not be accessed while I was working on a project. I have another storage pool on my Freenas labeled 'Storage' and it still is functioning properly. I've looked all over these forums for hours and hours and tried multiple solutions to a point where I don't want to try anything randomly and risk losing the data. I don't know how to copy code like I see in other posts from the shell into the code spot to paste, everytime I hit Ctrl-C it just types out ^C. SO i'll attach screenshots of the outputs. Could this be a hardware failure other than the SSD's?

FreeNAS-11.2-U3
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz (12 cores)
Super Micro Supermicro MBD-X10SRL-F-O Xeon E5-1600/2600v3 LGA2011 C612 256GB DDR4 SATA ATX
Crucial 96GBDDR4 2133 (PC4-2133) DR x4 288-Pin Server Memory
Mushkin REACTOR 1TB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 2.5 Inch SATA III 6Gb/s MLC 7mm MKNSSDRE1TB (11 of these in the server)

zpool status -v does not show the pool that is now inaccessible

zpool import DOES show the pool 'ssd' see screenshot below.
import.png

zpool import ssd gives the below screen shot
import_ssd.png

from the GUI I can see all of the disks.
2019-04-09_1556.png

Please, any and all help is GREATLY AND TRULY appreciated!!!

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
1. destroy the pool and restore from backup...you DO have a backup...right? raidz1 should not be used unless you either have a backup, or do not care about the data (RAID and raidz are not backups).

2. assuming from the wording of your post that you do...not have a backup, ummm.
first, you need to have somewhere you can back up this data to the instant it comes online.
you're going to probably need to post your smart outputs (smartctl -x /dev/daX), but REALLY not in screenshots. are you using putty? or the web shell? putty automatically copies anything selected, while I believe the webshell you right click, copy. ctrl-c is SIGKILL(?) in any terminal, and stops any foreground running program.

that mobo only seems to have 10 sata ports. how are you connecting 11+ drives to it? is the "ssd" pool connected with a different controller than the "Storage" pool? perhaps the controller or cables are bad.

zpool status -v would not show a pool that is not imported, so that's behaving correctly.

you're not using any of the RAID function on any of the controllers, right?

do you have another system that you could try importing the pool on? you could move the disks, which should eliminate everything but the disks as being the source of failure.

I believe there has been success in recovering data from bad pools by importing them readonly, but I have zero experience with that.

zfs can be amazing, but also has no training wheels; the seemingly smallest error can have punishing consequences, and zfs has basically no data recovery techniques.
if none of the above helps, you might need to find someone who does real (and expensive) zfs data recovery, luck out and get someone to answer here that knows zfs import magic with damaged pools, or ...destroy and rebuild the pool.

sretalla