Pool setup (to expand or create a new pool)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss

Cadet
All,

Some basics on my system first:
16gb ecc memory
dual xeon 5650 processors (yes it's overkill but it didn't cost much)
Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard
24 bay supermicro chassis
Intel M1015 controller flashed to IT mode

I've divided up the chassis based on the columns of drives so 6 drives as a set and the two sides of the expander bus controlling 12 drives for the two connections coming out of the M1015 controller.

I've populated the first column and created the first pool as RaidZ2. It's got CIFS/AFP and NFS running on it and so far all my testing has been what I'd expect as far as management and performance go.

My question is, I'm adding another 32gb of ecc ram to the system and another set of 6 drives. Is it best practice to expand the pool with a second vDev at Raidz2 leaving me with two vdev of 6 drives in the single pool or do I create a second pool? I've got two extra 2tb drives standing by in case I need to replace anything so that part of ongoing maintenance is covered but was just pondering the notion of all my eggs in one basket of if either of the vdev have issues, in a single pool config, the whole pool has problems. Was also wondering if there are performance benefits/issues with a single pool or the two pool configuration.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.