PMS won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

C Mo

Cadet
Hi All,

I've been searching on the forum for a fix to this issue to no avail, it seems that other people is having the same problem but there is no fix that I could find.

The problem is the following, when I install PMS 0.9.8.10.215 on FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35) all goes well, I can edit the plugin from the Jails tab, but it doesn't show on the Plugins tree, and when I try to turn on the service I get an error on the top of the screen that says "Some error occurred" and it goes back to off.

If I check /var/log/messages from the jail I see:

Code:
 root@plex_1:/ # cat /var/log/messages
Nov 16 14:48:44 plex_1 newsyslog[60639]: logfile first created
Nov 16 14:48:44 plex_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Nov 16 14:48:45 plex_1 su: setpriority 'root' (root): Permission denied
Nov 16 14:55:41 plex_1 syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Nov 16 14:56:19 plex_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
root@plex_1:/ #

I also tried to start it manually using
Code:
 /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver start 

and got a message telling me to use onestart instead or add plexmediaserver_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf . I did both things and still nothing.

Any help is much appreciated. Also please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

jpimp

Contributor
I had the same problem last night when I installed this version. I have the previous pms plugin installed and it starts without a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Persuter

Cadet
I'm having what appears to be a very similar problem. I installed the PMS plugin through the GUI and set up the jail. It shows the Plex Media Server in the plugins tree and in the Installed Plugins section, but when I try to start it, the console output says that it "exited on signal 6". Going into the jail and checking /var/log/messages, I see the exact same log file above. Plexmediaserver_enable was already turned on in rc.conf.

freenas-deluxe

Dabbler
+1
I had the plugin in Version 0.9.8.6 running for some weeks without a problem on FreeNAS 9.1.1
Now I saw the new version, uninstalled 0.9.8.6, rebooted and installed 0.9.8.10.
But this version does not start at all.
Plexmediaserver_enable is turned on in rc.conf.
Code:
root@plex_1:/ # service plexmediaserver start                         
Starting plexmediaserver.
root@plex_1:/ # service plexmediaserver status                         
plexmediaserver is not running.

Code:
root@plex_1:/ # tail /var/log/messages                                 
Nov 23 23:50:37 plex_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Nov 23 23:50:37 plex_1 su: setpriority 'root' (root): Permission denied
Nov 23 23:58:32 plex_1 syslogd: exiting on signal 15                   
Nov 24 00:01:34 plex_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Nov 24 01:09:56 plex_1 root: /usr/sbin/service: WARNING: $svnserve_enable is not
set properly - see rc.conf(5).                                       
Nov 24 01:09:56 plex_1 root: /usr/sbin/service: WARNING: $dbus_enable is not set
properly - see rc.conf(5).                                           
Nov 24 01:10:06 plex_1 root: /usr/sbin/service: WARNING: $svnserve_enable is not
Nov 24 01:10:06 plex_1 root: /usr/sbin/service: WARNING: $dbus_enable is not set
Nov 24 01:18:12 plex_1 root: /usr/sbin/service: WARNING: $svnserve_enable is not
Nov 24 01:18:12 plex_1 root: /usr/sbin/service: WARNING: $dbus_enable is not set

Code:
root@plex_1:/ # cat /etc/rc.conf                                           
portmap_enable="NO"                                                       
sshd_enable="YES"                                                         
sendmail_enable="NO"                                                       
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"                                               
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"                                             
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"                                             
hostname="plex_1"                                                         
devfs_enable="YES"                                                         
devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_common"                                   
plexmediaserver_enable="YES"            

Code:
root@plex_1:/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs # cat
Plex\ Media\ Server.log                                                       
Nov 24, 2013 02:09:16 [0x807407400] INFO - Plex Media Server v0.9.8.10.215-02045
6b - FreeBSD PC amd64                                                         
Nov 24, 2013 02:09:16 [0x807407400] DEBUG - Opening 10 database sessions to libr
ary, SQLite 3.8.0.2, threadsafe=1                                             
Nov 24, 2013 02:09:16 [0x807407400] ERROR - SQLITE3:10, 8, statement aborts at 2
: [PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL]

Persuter

Cadet
I am also getting that same error:

Code:
Nov 23, 2013 12:29:24 [0x807407400] INFO - Plex Media Server v0.9.8.10.215-02045
6b - FreeBSD PC amd64                                                           
Nov 23, 2013 12:29:24 [0x807407400] DEBUG - Opening 10 database sessions to libr
ary, SQLite 3.8.0.2, threadsafe=1                                               
Nov 23, 2013 12:29:24 [0x807407400] ERROR - SQLITE3:10, 8, statement aborts at 2
: [PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL]     

shackrock

Explorer
Hm, same error for me as well, see thread: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/plex-plugin-wont-start.16449/#post-84512

In the interest of keeping in one thread, I'm pasting my findings:
I think I have done everything I need to:

Install from the list - Plex Media Server Plugin version 0.9.8.10.215
Go to the Jails and then plex_1 then Storage, and add all of my Media links.
At this point I think I should be able to just turn the switch to ON for the plugin. Unfortunately, it stays OFF and I see the messages below each time I try to start it. I also attached a screenshot.

Nov 24 07:48:45 freenas kernel: pid 58352 (Plex Media Server), uid 972: exited on signal 6
Nov 24 07:48:48 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:57] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/warden list -v
Nov 24 07:48:49 freenas kernel: pid 58446 (Plex Media Server), uid 972: exited on signal 6

Also, I see this in the warden.log:
Code:
Building new Jail... Please wait...
zfs clone DEC2010/jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail@clean DEC2010/jails/plex_1
Success!
Jail created at /mnt/DEC2010/jails/plex_1

UPDATE:
Ok so I also went into /var/log/messages and saw this:
Code:
Nov 24 07:39:16 plex_1 newsyslog[27988]: logfile first created
Nov 24 07:39:16 plex_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Nov 24 07:39:16 plex_1 su: setpriority 'root' (root): Permission denied

Seems like my root user isn't allowed access????

dir_d

Explorer
I logged in to say that it is working for me, I have both the old and new running at the same time. Im a noob but if there is anything that you want me to do to help identify why its not working for some people ill try to help.

TheRev

Cadet
I had a similar problem in that python was crashing.

I deleted PMS then installed again and it is working. Apparently some of the dependencies did not load the first install.

shackrock

Explorer
This solution did not work for me. The plex plugin still won't start after following this procedure.

FYI I restarted the jail by clicking it, hten at the bottom some icons show up to STOP, then afterwards to START.

shackrock

Explorer
Yep just found that, thanks. See above, I edited my post while you were posting.

dir_d

Explorer
Hm, same error for me as well, see thread: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/plex-plugin-wont-start.16449/#post-84512

In the interest of keeping in one thread, I'm pasting my findings:
I think I have done everything I need to:

Install from the list - Plex Media Server Plugin version 0.9.8.10.215
Go to the Jails and then plex_1 then Storage, and add all of my Media links.
At this point I think I should be able to just turn the switch to ON for the plugin. Unfortunately, it stays OFF and I see the messages below each time I try to start it. I also attached a screenshot.

Nov 24 07:48:45 freenas kernel: pid 58352 (Plex Media Server), uid 972: exited on signal 6
Nov 24 07:48:48 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:57] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/warden list -v
Nov 24 07:48:49 freenas kernel: pid 58446 (Plex Media Server), uid 972: exited on signal 6

Also, I see this in the warden.log:
Code:
Building new Jail... Please wait...
zfs clone DEC2010/jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail@clean DEC2010/jails/plex_1
Success!
Jail created at /mnt/DEC2010/jails/plex_1

UPDATE:
Ok so I also went into /var/log/messages and saw this:
Code:
Nov 24 07:39:16 plex_1 newsyslog[27988]: logfile first created
Nov 24 07:39:16 plex_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Nov 24 07:39:16 plex_1 su: setpriority 'root' (root): Permission denied

Seems like my root user isn't allowed access????

I was receiving the error about toot too at one time too but for another jail that i created. I found out that i had changed the shell of root to bash and bash is not copied over to the jail when its created. Once i changed the shell back to csh my problems went away. it might be a long shot but its something to try.

shackrock

Explorer
I was receiving the error about toot too at one time too but for another jail that i created. I found out that i had changed the shell of root to bash and bash is not copied over to the jail when its created. Once i changed the shell back to csh my problems went away. it might be a long shot but its something to try.

Can you explain how you did this?

shackrock

Explorer
Ok so I tried to delete the original plugin/jail and start over. I installed the plugin, turned off VIMAGE, clicked save. Then I went to the jail and STOPPED it via the GUI. Finally, I clicked START. At that point, the "loading" pop up froze on the screen.

After about 10 minutes, I figured something was certainly wrong. I can no longer access my CIFS share, and I can no longer access the web portal. I tried a restart, but unfortunately it remains the same. I also tried SSH, no connection.

I do see FreeNAS booted properly though on restart (see attached). I know this because my motherboard shows me and lets me "virtually" connect from my PC as if I had a keyboard and monitor connected. See the attached image.

I'm not sure what happened when I started the jail, but it did not like it.

How can I get back to where I was before this jail? How can I get back into the GUI via the web interface, or even SSH?

Attachments

• freenas woes.png
    freenas woes.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 281

dir_d

Explorer
Can you explain how you did this?
I deleted the jail, went to acconut-->users-->view users then i selected the root user and changed the shell to csh. Then i reinstalled the jail manually. i creaed the jail by going to jails-->add jail, left all the settings alone except change the jail type from standard to pluginjail. I went to appcafe and downloaded the plexmediaserver-0.9.8.10.215-amd64.pbi plugin to my winbox while the plugin was being created. Once the jail was up and running, I highlighted the new jail then at the bottom of the jail screen there is a brown box stating to upload the plugin. Once the plugin was uploaded i went to the plugins page to turn it on and it worked.

rm-r

Contributor
OK guys - same problem - the way I sorted it....

• delete the plex plugin
  • reinstall the plex plugin
  • start the plex plugin
  • THEN create your in jail dataset and mount point
job done
Key = mount points AFTER starting server for first time it seems!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That shouldn't matter. Especially since when you ever have to reboot you'll get the mount points at bootup. You probably fixed an error in your configuration by deleting and reinstalling the plugin. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.