Plugins wont install in FreeNAS 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

nine09

Cadet
I have just setup FreeNAS 11.0 in VMware and completed the initial setup.

Every time I try to install a plugin it starts to download but stops at either "Downloading plugin" or "Creating template". If anyone knows why this happens please let me know. I have tried for days with no luck.

I even made a video explaining what I do and the problem here: https://youtu.be/NmJT-q_xcIc

joeschmuck

Old Man
I conducted the same test using ESXi 6.5 (I didn't remove the USB controller) so we should be on the same playing field as they say, and I used FreeNAS 11.0-U2.iso

I had absolutely no issues.

Since you are using VMWare Workstation 12 then I also tried VMWare Workstation 10 (the current copy I own) and gave it a shot (I did remove the USB controller). This time I met with failure. Not exactly like yours failed in the video but the GUI became unresponsive and I was forced to reboot it via the console window. I'm getting a lot of arp messages. So I changed the VM network adapter from NAT to Bridged (what I would normally do when running a VM anyway). Viola! it worked.

So if changing from NAT to Bridge fails to work, see if you have enough hard drive space for the 60GB of drive space you allocated, and ensure you do not have a firewall issue.

nine09

Cadet
Thanks a bunch for doing all that for me. Great help!

So I did 5 installations with the EXACT same settings in VMware and FreeNAS. I also tried to use bridged network. But this has no impact.

The only difference and the only thing that seems to be different for each install is the IP address for the web GUI which leads me to think that some IP addresses will cause problems for plugins.

For example, if I use the following IP addresses for the web GUI, plugins will install and work as intended:

These IP's however will cause problems for the installation of plugins:

What this all means I have no idea. Also I do not know how to change the Web GUI IP. I tried to follow this guide: http://doc.freenas.org/11/quick.html#quick-manual-ip-topic but once I change the IP I cannot reach the web GUI from my browser :(

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm certain these things come down to your DHCP server and how FreeNAS uses it.

As for the link you provided, it does allow you to set the IP address but you still need to setup the gateway. After all, even if you can get to the GUI, FreeNAS may not be able to get to the internet if the gateway isn't set properly. If you use Bridge mode then you know what the gateway should be, generally your routers IP address. So in the GUI under the Network configuration, ensure you have the proper gateway, assuming one is even listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.