Plugins start successfully from CLI, but fail to start from GUI - what have I broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Lian

Dabbler
I've tried to search for this but, according to the forum search page, the following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
"some error occurred"

Somehow I've managed to knacker my FreeNAS installation, but I'll be beggared if I can work out how. Earlier today the web GUI was working just fine, and I could control the few plugins I have installed. This evening, however, no plugins appear in the left-hand list under "Plugins", although they do appear in the right-hand pane when I select "Control Services" -> "Plugins". All of the plugins show as "OFF" even though some of them are running and can be controlled via their usual web interfaces.

If I try to enable one which I know is disabled (e.g. CouchPotato), I see "Some error occurred" appear briefly and the plugin fails to start. No entries appear at the end of /var/log/messages with a timestamp corresponding to my attempt to enable the plugin.

This behaviour persists across reboots of FreeNAS and between different web browsers (in this case, Firefox and Internet Explorer).

If I enter the jail and edit /etc/rc.conf to include the line couchpotato_enable="YES" and restart the jail (or restart FreeNAS), then the plugin starts and behaves normally, even though it still shows as "OFF" in the web GUI.

However...

While writing this post, I went back into FreeNAS to verify some of the details... and the Plugins GUI is now working properly. Four of the six plugins are "ON" (which matches how I left them), and they respond properly to the ON/OFF toggle.

So what happened? Why did the GUI fail, and why has it suddenly started behaving properly again? Did I break something? Is there some sort of caching problem? Is something else amiss?

Status
Not open for further replies.