Plugins on new TrueNas V 12.0 Where did they go.

Bizquick

Explorer
I'm rebuilding my NAS setup and I installed TrueNAS 12.02 (most latest download as of 2 weeks ago) Anyway I wanted to finally set up a media center box.
And I notices all the good plugins are now moved to Community or something. Anyway I was going to start setting up but like I noticed all the versions of the plugins are kind of outdated. Like Sonar is V2 and Sabnzbd is 3.02 and the current is 3.2 I tried and installed Sabnzbd but it would update to 3.2 Im just wondering if FreeNas is the right tool for this now. Maybe I should install OVM and like port my data over. I really like how I can setup ZFS Cache pools and I think freenas has allways has done a better job of like the Zpools and everything. But thinking now maybe I need to take a diffrent route sense it looks like all the plugins are not even native to iXsystems.

ThreeDee

Guru
create a jail(s) and install via pkg's .. easier to keep up to date/maintain.

ThreeDee

Guru
set up a jail first:
Create a NEW jail using advanced
Name it whatever.. I selected 12.2 jail
I checked VNET and BPF
vnet_default_interface = auto
IPv4 Interface = vnet0
IPv4 Adress = whatever matches your network
IPv4 Netmask = whatever matches your network .. probably 24 for most
IPv4 Default Router = Gateway address

then in that newly jail's shell .. I'd start with:
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
ee /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

copy the following:
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

and paste info FreeBSD.conf above (shift + insert key)

hit escape key and follow prompts to save and quit (I think it's option "a")

then, still in your jails shell, run:
Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade

then install whatever you want to install and you will be on latest repos instead of default quarterlies .. search the forums or google whatever it is you want to install in a jail .. if it doesn't work right off the bat, then ask for help and the more knowledgeable guys here will more than likely help you trouble shoot your issue(s)..

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@ThreeDee You could improve your instructions a little bit by making them more "copy-pasteable" :wink:
Code:
echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' >/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

ThreeDee

Guru
@ThreeDee You could improve your instructions a little bit by making them more "copy-pasteable" :wink:
Code:
echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' >/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
so that will just auto paste into the FreeBSD.conf file then? .. yeah, that's a lot easier, lol.

It's another language that I'm learning .. like my Spanish though, I only know how to ask where the bathroom is ..

rest assured though .. I'll find that bathroom .. one way or another

sretalla