Plugins not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeen

Dabbler
Hi team,

I updated to the current stable build of FreeNAS 11.0 and now my 2 plugins (Plex and Transmission) won't start. When attempting to cahnge the service status to "On" it attempts and fails. I typed "tail /var/log/messages" into the shell and received this:

Jun 4 05:48:37 transmission_1 su: pam_start: system error
Jun 4 05:48:37 transmission_1 root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING:
failed to start transmission
Jun 4 05:48:40 transmission_1 limits: _secure_path: /etc/login.conf is world wr
itable
Jun 4 05:48:40 transmission_1 limits: login_getclass: unknown class 'daemon'
Jun 4 05:48:40 transmission_1 su: in openpam_check_desc_owner_perms(): /etc/pam
.d/su: insecure ownership or permissions
Jun 4 05:48:40 transmission_1 su: pam_start: system error
Jun 4 05:48:40 transmission_1 root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING:
failed to start transmission
Jun 4 05:50:00 transmission_1 cron[42274]: _secure_path: /etc/login.conf is wor
ld writable
Jun 4 05:50:00 transmission_1 cron[42274]: login_getclass: unknown class 'daemo
n'
Jun 4 05:50:00 transmission_1 cron[42274]: _secure_path: /etc/login.conf is wor
ld writable

Any help would be greatly appreciated

My build:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I updated to the current stable build of FreeNAS 11.0 and now my 2 plugins (Plex and Transmission) won't start.
You upgraded from what?

Monkeen

Dabbler
You upgraded from what?

I updated the latest patches from an earlier version of FreeNAS 11.0. I did this in an attempt to fix the issue as my first troubleshooting tool. I also uninstalled both plugins, deleted jails, reinstalled and made sure I hade permissions etc. but the problem still remains. If I can't find a solution my only other option is to do a clean install of FreeNAS =(

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should not need to do a clean install however it will be close to a clean install.

You should have stuck with the original version of FreeNAS which was giving you problems, and also stating up front that you were having previous issues.

Since it sounds like you are having no good luck with your jails do the following...

1) Delete all your jails/pplugins.
2) Delete your jails dataset.
3) Create a new jails dataset.
4) Try to install a plugin/jail.

This "should" fix your issues but it will delete any jails/plugins you presently have so if you have any data within the jail you want to retain, copy it off first.

And if this fails to work, you could be looking at a Clean install of FreeNAS, but I doubt it, unless there si something else you didn't tell me.

Hope this helps.

Monkeen

Dabbler
You should not need to do a clean install however it will be close to a clean install.

You should have stuck with the original version of FreeNAS which was giving you problems, and also stating up front that you were having previous issues.

Since it sounds like you are having no good luck with your jails do the following...

1) Delete all your jails/pplugins.
2) Delete your jails dataset.
3) Create a new jails dataset.
4) Try to install a plugin/jail.

This "should" fix your issues but it will delete any jails/plugins you presently have so if you have any data within the jail you want to retain, copy it off first.

And if this fails to work, you could be looking at a Clean install of FreeNAS, but I doubt it, unless there si something else you didn't tell me.

Hope this helps.

Hi joeschmuck,

Thanks for assisting. Originally the problem presented when my partner said that plex was dropping out while she was watching TV. It had been a while since the FreeNAS had been reset so I thought that might be the problem. After I restarted FreeNAS these problems appeared. Initial troubleshoot was to upgrade to latest stable build, then I tried what you suggested, deleting all jails and plugins and reinstalling everything, however, the problem remains. As I was intending to move my jails to an SSD I am now using the opportunity to do so (picking it up tomorrow). Should the problem persist I am going to be forced to do a clean install of FreeNAS 11. My only concern then is that I might lose the data on my 4x HDD's in raidz, but I think you can just "import" the last raid configuration when you start up a clean install, correct?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you delete the jails dataset? This is nott he same as just deleting the jails and plugins, it's the dataset. If you never setup a jails dataset then you need to manually delete the warden files on your hard drive.

As for your data, it's safe. If you want to do a clean install just install FreeNAS and run "Import Volume". You will need to setup all your shares again and anything else you have configured.

Monkeen

Dabbler
Did you delete the jails dataset? This is nott he same as just deleting the jails and plugins, it's the dataset. If you never setup a jails dataset then you need to manually delete the warden files on your hard drive.

As for your data, it's safe. If you want to do a clean install just install FreeNAS and run "Import Volume". You will need to setup all your shares again and anything else you have configured.

Sorry j should have been more clear. Yes I did delete the dataset, the jails and deleted the jails.

Thanks for reassuring me that a clean install will not make my data inaccessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.