Plex Update now cannot get to web admin site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDM

Explorer
Hello, I hope I didn't just trash my Plex Server. I got a notice that there was an update available and it said to do it manually. So I found this and followed it.

1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation
3. type: 'jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
4. type: 'fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh'
5. type: 'chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh'
6. type: './PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a'

Got a "Done" at the end.

However, I can no longer get to my Plex Server page: http://192.168.1.2:32400/web/index.html#

I get a web site not found. I'm at a loss as to what may have happened.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Restart the jail and see if that helps. Otherwise when it says an 'Update' is available don't fret over it until the pkg system has it. Being slightly behind isn't going to really make it work any differently.

So now to the bad part, if you tried this with the plex plugin, it's likely trashed. With a jail you MAY be able to force the pkg to reinstall. If you have been diligent enough to have snapshots made of your jails weekly you can just roll back to a previous snapshot but I am doubting that has happened.

As far as having trashed the jail as long as you are linking your media in (as you should be) from outside of the jail it's a non event in my book. Create a new jail and set things up again and take it as a lesson learned to not futz with things. I would personally say turn the update checking off and just manually go in every so often and do a "pkg update && pkg upgrade" Especially if you are not using a feature that is on the bleeding edge.

I mean honestly look at the problems first adopters have to deal with in pretty much ANYTHING, the first people to get Windows 10 and the forced updates were having drivers replaced with older versions and crashes if they had gaming machines. May as well wait for the FreeBSD packages to be updated and see what problems other people are complaining about on the plex forums before adding your system to the pool of guinea pigs.

RDM

Explorer
I gotta say, you're right. I'm an idiot. I knew it wasn't gonna turn out good but thought, hey it says to update so, I update.

Ok barring that, how do I restart the jail? Or even delete it to start over?

And you are probably correct, I do not take snaps. I thought there were automated ones that were being taken but I may be mistaken.

All of this is contingent upon what it looks like when I get home tonight. I mean maybe I'll get lucky but that kinda stuff just doesn't happen to me.

Thanks for your time.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How did you install plex in the first place? Did you use a plugin or pkg? That script works for the plugins but I don't think it works for pkg.

If you do end up rebuilding you should save your plexdata folder and upload it to your new jail so you have all your settings and configs.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So now to the bad part, if you tried this with the plex plugin, it's likely trashed.
I maintained my plex plugin with this script for over a year before I went with a manual install. It works just fine.

Try restarting the service in the jail. service plexmediaserver restart

I maintained my plex plugin with this script for over a year before I went with a manual install. It works just fine.

Try restarting the service in the jail. service plexmediaserver restart

If you have a little knowledge on what you are doing it's fine but I have a feeling the OP did not. I also have a feeling the the OP is using a plugin and just followed a tutorial which is meant for a jail and is causing issues. I could be wrong but...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I also have a feeling the the OP is using a plugin and just followed a tutorial which is meant for a jail and is causing issues.
Unlikely--the PMS_Updater script is specifically designed to update the plugin.

RDM

Explorer
Thanks all. Yeah, I used the plugin. I tried restarting the service, just says error. I can't find a log anywhere for the life of me.

The console says something about I think (I can't remember exactly now) a library error. I thought I was in luck because, and I didn't now this beforehand, you can UPDATE from the installed plugin screen. I thought, ok...maybe I'll get lucky and it will correct itself but nope. Just says, there was some error.

It looks like, and I am by no means a unix/freenas export, that I should be able to just DELETE the plugin?

If I do that and INSTALL it again, and I use the PLEXDATA file, do you think it would start back up?

Also, I can't seem to locate the PLEXDATA directory?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

RDM

Explorer
I tried that too...same thing.

root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # service plexmediaserver start
Starting plexmediaserver.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver: WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What is the exact error you get when you try to restart the service from the jail shell?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

RDM

Explorer
welp...I guess. No way to save my current config and have it magically come back after I do it?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I already mentioned it but I'll say it again. You want to save the plexdata folder. It's in /var/db/plexdata just make sure to copy that out. Use a standard jail not the plug in next time and do pkg install plexmediaserver and pkg update; pkg upgrade to update everything.

RDM

Explorer
OK thanks man. I was looking for PLEXDATA in the plex directories not in var/db.

I'm still wondering what the hell happened. You shouldn't be able to trash an install just by trying to upgrade it. Maybe in olden times but certainly not in 2017.

Oh well...thanks again everyone.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The error you got probably isn't related to the upgrade. I actually think you changed the permissions of the entire jail dataset or the plex jail. Whenever you get a pam error when trying to start a service it's usually a permissions problem. And this isn't something you can fix you basically nuked everything in the jail so it's time to rebuild.

RDM

Explorer
OK, so I cannot copy the PLEXDATA without getting a "You need permission from user/972 to copy". I thought it may have been Freenas related but I can't even copy it to a windows share. I'm at a loss. Also, there seems to be a LOT of crap in there!? Like a million files but only about 8GB.

Any ideas on how I can copy it off? Or maybe I'll just whack it all and forget about trying to bring it back.

danb35

Hall of Famer
From the FreeNAS shell, as root, tar -cvfz /mnt/pool/plexdata_backup.tgz /path/to/jails/plexmediaserver_1/var/db/plexdata/*, replacing pool with the name of your pool, and /path/to/jails/ with the jails root from your web GUI's jail config screen.

RDM

Explorer
Thanks Dan, that did the trick. Didn't even think of tar...

Status
Not open for further replies.