Plex Media Server Installation fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmcfarlane

Cadet
I have a fresh installation of Freenas 9.2.1.3 installed on vitrual box to trial. Installation is all good. I have access to a shared location so all looks good.

I have tried to install plex server plug in. It appears to download okay and install to the point where it says Install (3/4) 50% and does not move for 5 or 10 minutes. It seems to timeout. There is no error message It does not appear as an installed plugin. If you go to install it again it immediately goes to the (3/4) 50% mark so it appears to resume and then does not progress and end up failing.

Is there a log file somewhere I can find out the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Capture.PNG

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Ron:

It is also quite possible to not use the Plex plugin at all. I install plex, manually, into a portjail. If the VM interplay and the plugin pbi is causing too much headache, the "install it yourself method into a jail" will almost certain be successful, if a bit more work. There should be some guides in the forum.

ronmcfarlane

Cadet
I have made progress by reinstalling freenas. I initially followed a revision3 video and it appeared to be missing some steps. When I followed an alternate video that created the jail it appears to have installed and is running but I cannot get to it. I can see it on the network but none of my plex clients can connect. I cannot ping it and using the terminal in the jail I cannot ping anything so it looks like I have a connectivity issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

I have experienced the same problem, am on about the 10th install on 9.2.1.3 but can't get Plex to install, it always stops part way through. I have deleted the drives, the CF card (even put in Windows machine and deleted partitions and formatted to make sure there was not trace) and reinstalled the HD's ticking the new drive box to wipe them.

I am now thinking that I should download the file and do a manual install, but would have preferred to run it through the interface and do it cleanly.

Not sure what to do now... am a bit lost... any help you could provide would be much appreciated as I am a newbie and still learning about the freenas environment.

Andrew...

OK, so update on this, just don't install Plex first for your first plug in set up... choose something else, I chose the bitorrent client, and it worked!!!!

Templates DL'd eventually, don't watch, it will take, well I cooked and ate dinner, but you can work that out on your DL speed... but it worked :smile:

joelmusicman

Patron
Not sure where the problem is. You might try upgrading FreeNAS to 9.2.1.4, which also fixes some CIFS issues that pegged the CPU at 100%. I installed the plugin from the FreeNAS GUI on a bare metal install and it worked perfectly.

norskman

Contributor
UI /think the problem is not with the first install. It only occurs when you upgrade.

the problem still exists in 9.2.1.4.1

its very annoying for sure.

Thanks for your input guys... well it is up and running now, so happy days! :smile:

My mate DL'd the Plex install package which was 60MB and it took ages considering he was on a cable connection. Was well over 1/2 an hour!

Just throwing it out there, but maybe the server that the install package is sitting on is so slow that it is timing out the connection? Maybe too many users DL'ing at the same time? I have cable here also, so 60MB takes about 20 seconds from any reasonable server... as I said, just throwing it out there...

Andrew

I have a fresh installation of Freenas 9.2.1.3 installed on vitrual box to trial. Installation is all good. I have access to a shared location so all looks good.

I have tried to install plex server plug in. It appears to download okay and install to the point where it says Install (3/4) 50% and does not move for 5 or 10 minutes. It seems to timeout. There is no error message It does not appear as an installed plugin. If you go to install it again it immediately goes to the (3/4) 50% mark so it appears to resume and then does not progress and end up failing.

Is there a log file somewhere I can find out the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

View attachment 4061

Hey guys, finally got mine working, but installed one of the other plug-in's first, I think it was the Maraschino, and that helped to set up the jail templates, then Plex installed without any problems... but many reloads and installs without success starting with Plex first up... not sure what the problem was, but it stalled on the 4/5 and timed out so many times that I got frustrated and tried this other way.

I think it is something to do with the initial set up of the jails, once they are in place, the rest of the plug-ins seemed to install seamlessly.

I am now having a problem trying to upgrade to the newer version of Plex, but I am not too worried as it is working without the upgrade.

Reality bytes,
Andrew...

pcmofo

Explorer
I think you are right about the jails... I was able to fix my issue by deleting the jail dataset and all of the jails, then re-booting and reinstalling plex it finally worked. I could not get any jail to properly install including plex. Now it is running fine.

futurehome

Cadet
I've met the same problem, I first installed Plex, failed at 50%, and then I switched to install Transmission, first failed at 75%, then I tried again, it worked; after that, I tried intall Plex, it also worked. I don't know what happed, but it just worked.

Yeah, my friend and I have been playing with fresh installs, and it all seems to come back to the jail set up. Once the jails are installed, every plug in thereafter seems to work without a problem.

Glad that you got yours up and running - Plex rocks on FreeNAS!

Now, if only I could work out a good way to do music videos with Plex... :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.