Plugin Installation Stops at 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
I downloaded 9.2.0. Started the ISO in a VM and installed to a USB key. I put it in a custom build system (Asus MB/Sempron 130 CPU/6GB/2-3TB Seagate HD's). The system boots just fine everything appears happy.
  1. I create a ZFS mirror of the two drives
  2. I go to plugin's and select Plex to install
  3. The installation completes steps 3/4. The last one (creating jail) hangs at 50% EVERY SINGLE TIME.
I've done numerous factory resets. Tried the latest FreeNAS build (9.2.1.1). All the same results. I can take that USB, mount it in VM and install the plugin just fine. So that would lead me to believe it may be hardware related??

Also, when I cancel the installation (I'm a very patient person.. I've let it go overnight just in case I was rushing things) and go to the jails section I see the jail was created but no sign of plex.

Where should I start to start tracking down what is hanging up?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will say that Semprons are not very powerful. I'm not sure how long you let it hang for, but it could take a while to download and install the jail if you are trying to install a plugin. I know when I installed my first plugin in a MUCH more powerful system than yours it took about 3 minutes.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
I've let it hang all night long. Other times my patience wears out around 10 to 15 mins. Running it in a VM it installs in about 3 - 5 mins as well. The really frustrating part is, it HAS installed before. In my learning and breaking things I've factory reset the thing more times than I've gotten to use it, so I know it can install on there. For whatever reason now, in the last week, its just stopped. The only thing really different between now and a week ago is my new drives (I was testing with a pair of 500gb seagates, now I have a pair of 3TB seagate barracuda drives)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's lots of ways you *could* have broken the system. The easiest one I could probably point out would be to make sure that there aren't snapshots from old jails around that are confusing it. If you have no jails setup at all, I'd make sure there are no jails or snapshots floating around. Delete any that exist.

Other than that I have no other ideas. Sorry.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
After a factory reset I typically do a quick wipe of the drives. You may be right, I suppose I could do a more thorough wipe but shesh that takes forever on a pair of 3TB's.. Cyberjock, I've read lots of your responses and your noob write up, I appreciate your help here! On a side note, I've been having a heck of a time with user shares and using ACL. I was going to PM you the question of how much you charge for support service and if you had time to login and help me out with setting up my NAS? Apparently I'm too new and don't have PM privileges.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should have the ability to PM me... I'll PM you though.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
Tonight I went about things differently. I did factory reset from the GUI, deleted the ZFS Volume, Quick wiped both drives, then rebooted the NAS. I then created a UFS volume (mirrored both drives), then installed the plex plugin and it completed finally. What would the ZFS volume be doing to break the plugin install? Like you mentioned, maybe there is remanent jail left-overs and a quick wipe doesn't fully remove it? I'm going to delete the UFS, quick-wipe, create a ZFS and see if it completes this time.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
Well that was a bust. UFS plugin install took about 4 mins. Going on 15 mins and stuck at 50% on stage 3/4 of creating the jail.

dkran

Dabbler
if you find a resolution, let me now. I am stuck in the same situation. So weird. Also, @cyberjock if you haven't worked through this with him yet, I'm willing to spend some time on it as I see you around here lots. Interesting fact from my note:

I'm a noob to freenas / zfs.
First time I set up ZFS, I made no datasets, and just used the root directory as a big store. this was two nights ago. I installed transmission and it went smoothly, and was all set up.
Yesterday, I was like wtf did I do, and I deleted the entire zfs volume, and made a new one with datasets and whatnot, for my time machine and data and such so that there was a little more organization. I tried to install transmission: Entire NAS Goes down.

Found this bug: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3779
But not sure if it's the exact same thing I'm dealing with. Will look more today. My jail creation also froze overnight.

Aand, I have reached a resolution. I went into my jails directory and deleted datasets, then rm -rf'd some slacker files that just seemed to be reached there. Now, when I tried to install transmission it just took off and went. So did plex. I'm in good shape :)

Wayne, my error did come off a fresh disk wipe also. So maybe something about starting fresh is causing the issue. If you want more depth on what I did I can go over it, but for how new I am to freenas I'm sure you can figure it out

wayne_sw

Dabbler
dkran, I'm probably just as new to it as you. What I don't understand is after doing a factory reset in the GUI (which removes the ZFS volume previously created), then quick wiping the drive there should not be any data left to remove. There are no jail mounts to go in and remove much less any files left over.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
Todays report is still grim. Yesterday I did a full wipe of both drives. Then booted the system with Parted Magic and formatted the drives with EXT2. Did a factory restore from the console. Mounted the drives with ZFS in a mirror setup. Went to plugins and started the Plex install... Stuck at 50% once again. You cannot tell me that there is/was any data left on the drives!! I'm pretty close to sticking with my 2k3 server and adding the big drives to it in RAID1 and calling it a day, but I really want to move to a web-managed setup. dkran, after my installation stuck I tried the steps you said worked as far as removing the jail's dataset files and trying again, but it did not work for me either.

dkran

Dabbler
Well, maybe the new install is what's doing it? how about you do this. After it fails, go to jails. Make sure the jail isn't running, and delete the plugin jail. then go to the console or ssh and go to the jails directory and look for any hidden plex files or whatever, and rm-rf all of those too. Leave the plugin template jail. Then try running the plugin install again with the jail already downloaded. that's kind of what I did. That time it flew through the jail and it was fine, plugin installed in about 1min

guyjones

Cadet
I've the same problem
I'm going to Jails Configuration and I rename the Folder "jail" (no s)

wayne_sw

Dabbler
I ended up going back to 9.1.1 and everything worked wonderfully from there out. Plugin installs worked just fine, not a single hangup.

alttab

Dabbler
same problem here. i installed virtualbox jail and transmission\sabnzbd plugins without any trouble.
plex plugin just hangs at "creating jail"
my zfs pool came from nas4free orginally, it shouldnt matter since the other plugins\jails installed just fine.

edit; after 20 minutes it installed correctly

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No one had mentioned this yet but you don't have enough ram installed. For me to run Plex server in a VM I need to give it 8gb of memory and that is when using 4gb disks. You are using more storage with less ram.

Wmac

Cadet
Yesterday was the first time that I downloaded FreeNas and installed in a VBox v.4.3.12, the first time things went well I could install the Plex on the server, then as it was a test box I decided to re-install and then the problems start to jump over, first the CIFS had problems to find the hostname, then disabling on the CIFS configuration took care of this problem, well think that was the only one, no wen trying to install the plugins they just do not appear on screen, so I change a little bit the network and sometimes could get the plugin to show on the list, try install another plugin that was not Plex and then got stuck on the 50% but I realize that it was not stuck there looking to my VBox screen what happened is that the system just dump everything and reboot itself, after several new installation, different HDs I give up, if somebody has a solution I will be watching the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.