Plex issues, cant start or server not available when started!

banshee28

Dabbler
So fresh TrueNAS build all updated to latest. Working great for the most part. Created a test pool and assigned basic permissions to the pool, even "everyone" has access. I setup a NFS share and copied pictures to that NFS from my Linux PC, worked fine.

I then installed Plex and thats where the fun began. The very first time I did this, I got Plex to start and was able to properly view the shared files on other devices on my home network even on different segments/vlans! Then i decided to start over as I am learning how this works. The next round was not as easy. I removed all shares, then deleted Plex and the Pool. Once I recreated the Pool, NFS then eventually installed Plex, now I get 1 of 2 things. Either 1) Plex starts fine but no server detected when apps or webpage that try to use it, or 2) Plex and/or jail will simply not start. Now that's where it sits. I even have it set static IP, same results, says up for a second then back down.

I do have the mount point of the pool set first, and basic permissions, even everyone full control. I setup the Plex user under Users within TrueNAS with ID 972 to make it easier and assigned those perms to the pool, but maybe I did not assign properly?

Also, as long as my network routes properly, which I think it is doing, it should not matter which segment Plex server is on vs client right? Would be crazy to have to be on the same ssegment. I thought I read somewhere something about this.

Anyways any suggestions plz....

banshee28

Dabbler
Any suggestions? I removed Plex Plugin again and this time when I start it and try to go to the site, i keep getting constant windows openinig up to the <IP> asigra/DSOP.jnlp sites. No idea what I did wrong this time. About to reinstall but maybe there is a quick fix?
I tried both DHCP and static each do the same. Perms and such is setup.

gt2416

Patron
You can install plex manually in a jail, this will give you more control over if you want to delete plex, update etc.
Once you get to the step where you start plex with 'service plexmediaserver start', you can verify its running by using the 'sockstat -4' command, from there you can start diagnosing if its a network issue or whatever else. sockstat will let you know what ip and port plex is running on (and if its actually running).

banshee28

Dabbler
You can install plex manually in a jail, this will give you more control over if you want to delete plex, update etc.
Once you get to the step where you start plex with 'service plexmediaserver start', you can verify its running by using the 'sockstat -4' command, from there you can start diagnosing if its a network issue or whatever else. sockstat will let you know what ip and port plex is running on (and if its actually running).
Thanks!

Great news! I got it all working now.

I decided to scrub and delete the old pool, clean as much stuff as possible (like a clean install) and start over. Once done I still had Plex permission issues, but managed to use the ACL's to get it working. So I think I am good now.

Thanks for the help, on to organizing media next, fun stuff...