Plex permissions separate from "Everyone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael De Cou

Explorer
Hi all,

Hoping I can get a little guidance on media share permissions and plex.

Current system:
FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2

Plex Media Server:

My main media folder is set to /mnt/VOL1/Plex Media.
I have created a CIFS share, and set the owner to my "admin" user, and the group to my "admin" group.
I have added the storage to the Plex jail, and plex sees the media just fine.

However... I found that the media share permissions are set so "Everyone" can view the share. I would prefer not to have the share viewable to "Everyone".

A few questions I have:

1. From my windows client, I can go to the share and edit the security. I can remove the "everyone" permissions, however, then the Plex server cannot see the share. What would be a good way to allow the Plex server to see the share without "Everyone" existing in permissions? Do I need to create the "plex" user and group (id 972) and set them as primary owner? ....or something similar to this?

2. Whenever I go into the FreeNAS volume and set / verify permissions, the "Everyone" entry is re-added to the share. I don't understand where this is coming from. Is there some sort of default setter (or otherwise) that specifies that "everyone" is added to shares with read permissions?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Michael De Cou

Explorer
A little more clarification on what I am trying to do...

I am trying to set my Plex media volume (which has been added to the plex jail) with permissions of 770. From what I can tell, the only way to do this is by setting standard windows permissions, and then going into the share from a windows box and removing the "Everyone" permissions. Is this accurate?

Furthermore, I would like to have the Plex server access the share without the use of the "Everyone" permission. I am having trouble getting this to work. Is there a default account that Plex uses to access shares, such as a "plex" user and a "plex" group? If so, should I just create those and add permissions? ....and if so, what user and group ID should be used?

MANY THANKS!!!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Create a group in your jail with the same gid as your admin group and put your Plex user in that group. I have never done this with Windows permissions but it might work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

itskando

Contributor
Create a group in your jail with the same gid as your admin group and put your Plex user in that group. I have never done this with Windows permissions but it might work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Did this end up working?

I setup freeNAS [11.2-RC1] with a dataset for media storage as follows:

Code:
/mnt/POOL/media/
Permissions: Windows
User: root
Group: public

I made a CIFS/SMB share to make it into
an authenticated CIFS/SMB share for easy drag/drop for
anyone on the network.

I run myfreeNAS webGUI off of macOS,
so I have no idea what the specific Windows permissions default to.
(I only use Windows permissions over UNIX for maximum compatibility.)

I ask because I mounted the dataset to the Plex plugin,
which can see all of the files but cannot transcode them.

In the Plex jail shell:
Code:
[root@Deetz ~]# jexec 17 tcsh
root@plex:/ # ls -l /media
total 9
drwxrwxr-x+ 7 root  1000  8 Oct 23 22:56 movies

Since `root` is the dataset owner outside of the jail and inside of the jail,
is there no issue?

Does it matter that `root` is not the UUID of the jail, which is `plex`?

Status
Not open for further replies.