Please welcome Dru Lavigne as the FreeNAS Community Manager!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks,

Most of you already know Dru Lavigne, she's been answering questions here for years, writes the FreeNAS documentation, and occasionally steps in to remove spam or otherwise make sure the Forums are at least reasonably healthy. That said, it's still never been precisely clear just who at iXsystems people should talk to when there's a dispute between members of the forums, or even a dispute between members of the forums and the moderators (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?)
To that end, in addition to appointing Dru to the role of Chief Mediator, we have also created a forum-abuse@freenas.org mailing alias which can be used to report any and all such problems going forward.

We have also had a ticketing system for reporting problems with the forum itself in place for a number of months now, but there's just not much point in having tickets against a project (specifically, this forum) without someone specifically designated as the "owner" of that project who's responsibility it is to beg, wheedle, cajole, nag or threaten other folks into doing whatever work is necessary to improve it. As I like to say, when everyone owns something then nobody owns it, and the Forum has been sort of a "shared responsibility" since its inception, which is just another way of saying nobody had to feel any particular or specific responsible for it. That changes today. Today, this becomes Dru's baby and she is fully in charge!

Unlike most of us (including myself), I think you will also find Dru to be very calm, level-headed and reasonable, even when everyone around her seems to be in some emotional crisis state, and that's exactly what this forum needs. The lunatics are no longer running this asylum! :)

Please join me in welcoming Dru in her new role as Queen of the Forum! Long may she reign!

J

jkh

Fairness, is something I've yet to see from dlavigne or anyone.

I'm sure Dru will do a great job, but let's not let our imaginations stray too far from reality here, folks! Dru will undoubtedly go out of her way to be just and to apply a consistent process, but never forget that "fairness" is always in the eye of the beholder. Always. In any dispute, be it between two parties here in the Forums or between, say, two neighbors over the placement of a property line, once that dispute is ruled on by the powers that be, there will always be one party feeling like the dispute was fairly resolved and the other party feeling exactly the opposite. In other words, the winner is happy with the ruling and the loser thinks it was a travesty of justice and will not hesitate to proclaim this far and wide for the rest of their lives.

Perhaps someday, when AIs have finally been created and these forums are used exclusively by artificial personalities discussing their favorite storage choices, the Dru AI will occasionally be called in to resolve a dispute and, after reviewing all of the supporting data logically and without emotional bias, the other AIs will agree that she (it) was entirely fair and continue about their business of subjugating organic life-forms. Until that occurs, however, any notion of mutually-agreed fairness is just not going to be seen here or anywhere else humans interact.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Dru, welcome to your new additional job here. I hope that if you see an injustice that you are able to correct it right away. I will speak for myself here when I say that if you see me doing anything questionable that you take it up with me and be straight about it. My only goal is to make the forums a friendly helpful place like they were when we started this forum. I do have certain expectations of people posting questions and they are the same expectations I have of myself, the main one is they read the forum rules and follow them. The second thing is they are not just being lazy and don't read the documentation or at least attempt a search of the forum for an answer.

DJ9

Contributor
Congrats Dru!

I don't know how you find time to do so much with only 24hrs in a day. Perhaps iX will send you on a non bsdcon vacation one of these days. :)

TheSmoker

Patron
Congrats! My biggest condoleances for being the responsible person of the "nuthouse" ( please read forum) ... Of course myself included! Cheers! :D

Oginga

Cadet
Hi folks,

Most of you already know Dru Lavigne, she's been answering questions here for years, writes the FreeNAS documentation, and occasionally steps in to remove spam or otherwise make sure the Forums are at least reasonably healthy. That said, it's still never been precisely clear just who at iXsystems people should talk to when there's a dispute between members of the forums, or even a dispute between members of the forums and the moderators (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?)
To that end, in addition to appointing Dru to the role of Chief Mediator, we have also created a forum-abuse@freenas.org mailing alias which can be used to report any and all such problems going forward.

We have also had a ticketing system for reporting problems with the forum itself in place for a number of months now, but there's just not much point in having tickets against a project (specifically, this forum) without someone specifically designated as the "owner" of that project who's responsibility it is to beg, wheedle, cajole, nag or threaten other folks into doing whatever work is necessary to improve it. As I like to say, when everyone owns something then nobody owns it, and the Forum has been sort of a "shared responsibility" since its inception, which is just another way of saying nobody had to feel any particular or specific responsible for it. That changes today. Today, this becomes Dru's baby and she is fully in charge!

Unlike most of us (including myself), I think you will also find Dru to be very calm, level-headed and reasonable, even when everyone around her seems to be in some emotional crisis state, and that's exactly what this forum needs. The lunatics are no longer running this asylum! :)

Please join me in welcoming Dru in her new role as Queen of the Forum! Long may she reign!

forum-abuse@freenas.org does not work. Bouncing back with:

The error that the other server returned was:
550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
550 5.1.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=6596 q58si7770559yhh.187 - gsmtp

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Dru is currently traveling anyway... if you have a problem you can PM me and I can post it in the staff section of the forums and let her deal with your complaint when she's around. But, considering you joined 49 minutes ago and looking at your IP address I already think I know who you are... so hello. ;)

Oginga

Cadet
The problem/complaint is the e-mail address not working. Directed at jkh, or i guess anyone that could fix that in the chain-of-command.

Shame, you knowing who I am, but I don't know much about you. You can PM me your e-mail address, phone numbers, addresses and I'll fix that right up. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right.. so you just emailed it "just to see if it worked".. right?

Yeah.. I'm not biting today.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Congratulations on getting the short straw, Dru!

Status
Not open for further replies.