Need your advice as soon as possible please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Moses

Cadet
Dear members of this great forum. I've been interested in the freenas project since ver. 8. I followed it but I didn't do deeper until freenas 9.3. I have been very occupied reading about the zfs and I've read a looot until my head explode, as I'm a very old windows user :(. I didn't use any other system, so this is a whole new world to me. I work as a video editor and recently my library increased greatly due to video file sizes. I needed a place safe to store these files. I have a good workstation x99 with core i75820k. I needed a good backup solution. I chose the following items that I think are both cheap and meet my needs.
Here's a link to amazon of my components.

P.S
If there are any affiliate links for your forum, I'll be glad to use it to express my gratitude for your efforts.

All the components

Link: http://a.co/aIMZwnH

The most important ones are:

Supermicro Motherboard Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 X11SSH-F-O

Intel 3.70 GHz Core i3-6100 3M Cache Processor (BX80662I36100)

Kingston Technology ValueRAM 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 ECC CL15 DIMM 2Rx8 Desktop Memory KVR21E15D8/16

Intel 80 GB 530 Series SATA M.2 0.85-Inch Solid State Drive (Drive only) SSDSCKGW080A401

LSI LOGIC SAS 9207-8i Storage Controller LSI00301

Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter - network adapter - 2 ports (EXPI9402PTBLK) -
I intend to do teaming / link aggregation using the managed switch.
TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Easy Smart Switch (TL-SG108E)

The following components I already have:
5 X WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX
2 X Toshiba 4.0TB MD04ACA400 SATA 6.0Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Disk Drive
1X WD Red 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80EFZX (for a set aside backup of the raidz2)

I intend to do a raidz2 or raidz3. I've corrected TLER for the Toshiba drives so as not to drop from the array.
Is there any mismatch in these components, as I'm about to buy them from amazon.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The RAM you've indicated is not on the tested list from Supermicro (Samsung, Micron, Hynix chips).
The Kingston RAM may or may not work for you, since this machine will be a backup, I would try and source tested RAM modules.
Mixing spindle speeds (5400 vs. 7200rpm) is a sticky point with me as well, others may not have a problem with it, just my opinion...
Link agg will not be of benefit unless you will have a large number of client machines accessing the backup machine at once,
so I'm just mentioning it... search the forum for more on this...
other than that, your motherboard/cpu/HBA looks OK for your intentions.
Hope this was of benefit, Cheers!

Black Moses

Cadet
The RAM you've indicated is not on the tested list from Supermicro (Samsung, Micron, Hynix chips).
The Kingston RAM may or may not work for you, since this machine will be a backup, I would try and source tested RAM modules.
Mixing spindle speeds (5400 vs. 7200rpm) is a sticky point with me as well, others may not have a problem with it, just my opinion...
Link agg will not be of benefit unless you will have a large number of client machines accessing the backup machine at once,
so I'm just mentioning it... search the forum for more on this...
other than that, your motherboard/cpu/HBA looks OK for your intentions.
Hope this was of benefit, Cheers!
I thank you so much for your comment.
I really wanted to buy a ram from the tested ones but what kept me from ordering one, the fact that it would take a month to ship it. Later, after your comment, I saw a crucial ram within the tested rams but would ship from us, so I added it from other sellers on amazon

Crucial 16GB Single 2133MT/s DDR4 PC4-17000 Dual Ranked x8 ECC DIMM CT16G4WFD8213 / MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G1A1

As for mixing spindle speeds, it's the first time I hear about a problm concerning it. Could please elaborate or mention a link.
God bless you.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
As for mixing spindle speeds, it's the first time I hear about a problm concerning it
Not a problem as such, just not ideal. ZFS will deal with it, but performance will be that of the slower drives at best. Also, 7,200RPM drives tend to generate more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.