Moving on from iXsystems and the future of FreeNAS / Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks!

I've come to know a lot of you pretty well on these forums, so what I'm about to say may come as something of a surprise, but after almost 4 years of working on FreeNAS as a full-time gig, I've decided it's time for new challenges and excitement, and April 7th will be my last day at iXsystems and day-to-day involvement with FreeNAS.

I'm going into the nanotech / biomedical field, for a complete career change of pace and hopefully the opportunity to do things that will substantially improve quality of life for a lot of people (I won't go into details here as it would be inappropriate, though I'm sure the press will fill that gap), so I have no doubts about this being the right thing to do!

As far as this community, and the FreeNAS Corral project which the FreeNAS dev team and so many others have put 2 years worth of blood, sweat and tears into, are concerned, I honestly think you will do a more than fantastic job of supporting one another in the weeks, months and years going forward! Even though some folks have somewhat stubbornly refused to see FreeNAS as a genuinely open source project and instead one in which iXsystems calls all the shots and its users are just spectators, you collectively have more power and influence than I think you've ever realized. Your bug reports drive the feature set of all versions of FreeNAS. Your testing and dedication to finding issues before it ships to paying customers is a huge multiplier in iXsystems' business model. With the release of Corral, your pull requests and outright contributions to the project on Github have increased by an order of magnitude (and the stats bear this out) over what we've seen in the previous 3 years.

Even though Corral is currently a dot-zero release with much polishing still to go, thousands of you have responded to the clear and obvious potential it has and recognized the "long game" in having a fundamentally new and extensible architecture in which to add new interface improvements, new CLI commands for power users, and otherwise build on what has already been built. It's always easier to improve on something rather than build it from scratch, and now that Corral has been built from scratch, the way forward is pretty clear!

As for myself, I'm simply going to a new job, I'm not leaving the planet (though that would be a pretty interesting new job, too) and I hope to remain active in this community as a user for some time, filing my own tickets and watching Corral evolve as I install the updates on my own hardware (and occasionally roll back, after sending an angry bug report to those danged developers! :D). You'll still see me around, in other words, I'll just be one of you now. Ewww, right? ;)

Seriously, It's been a genuine pleasure getting to know this community and I hope you'll stay in touch as the journey continues.

- Jordan Hubbard
ex-CTO, iXsystems

nojohnny101

Wizard
Good luck on your new adventure! You will be missed.

ccssid

Explorer
Having been a part of the community for only a short time, I, as well as everyone else, will be sorry to see you go and will be missing your input. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
All the best, Jordan. I know you will be really driving things forward whatever your occupation may be.

Patrick

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Good luck to you in your new job. You've always been a stellar communicator keeping users informed of what's going on behind the scenes and I do thank you for that.

Any idea who your replacement will be? Where do I apply? :D

Chase Turner

Cadet
Agree with everyone's sentiments above. I suspect your jump to a new venue is not a draw to a soft-ball problem space -- because you have a history of being drawn to hard problem spaces, collaborating with peers, and developing sane, stable solutions therein. That said, it is reassuring to know that a rock-star freeBSD core developer like you will be bringing formidable skills to the medical device arena -- where reliability, availability and maintainability are essential!

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@jkh
I was here when you arrived, you grabbed the reins and your subsequent influence was profound.
I can only assume a man of your caliber was snatched ($$$) away, so congratulations Sir!
I also hope the foundations laid here (Corral), can withstand the loss of your watchful eyes.
To say you will be missed, is a gigantic understatement!

Good luck to you!
BigDave

KevDog

Patron
Mr Hubbard:
I'm going into the nanotech / biomedical field, for a complete career change of pace and hopefully the opportunity to do things that will substantially improve quality of life for a lot of people

Know that you have been improving the quality of life a lot for a heck of a lot of people already. Thanks for your contributions. Its been great.

Ziggy

Contributor
I've only been around FreeNAS for about two years and I can honestly say your contributions have been helpful and courteous - the ones I've read anyway :) - so, as others have said, good luck in your next life phase and hopefully you will be still here to give newbies like me some helpful advice from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:

melloa

Wizard
I'll just be one of you now. Ewww, right?

I wouldn't say that. U know a little more than most of us. Good luck and live long and prosper!

indivision

Guru
Sorry to hear. But, I understand. I'm at something of a career cross-roads myself.

Thank you and good luck!

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well,.......... there it is. That's a shame. I'll wait extra long between updates now.

Thanks for the hard work, good luck.

wtfR6a

Explorer
Thanks for everything. Good luck

silverback

Contributor
Good Luck with your new adventures. While following you at ixsystems I can tell you I am actually a fan and will miss your forum posts.

bmess

Dabbler
Thank you for your contributions to making FreeNAS so great!

Jacopx

Patron
Seriously, It's been a genuine pleasure getting to know this community and I hope you'll stay in touch as the journey continues.

- Jordan Hubbard
ex-CTO, iXsystems

Thank to you boss! Good bye

@jkh

I just wanted to say thanks for what you've contributed to FreeNAS and to the community as a whole. Having a dev whose so knowledgeable hanging around the forums and actually helping us mere mortals out and regaling us with stories of Oracle Raptors, has made using these forums more informative, friendly and enjoyable. I'm glad to hear you won't be a complete stranger but still, you will be missed I'm sure.

So I wish you all the best and I hope-.... oh, who are we kidding?! We all know your leaving just to avoid drinking the Clamato beer!

@jkh

I understand needing a change sometimes it happens. I am sure things will go well for you in your new endeavors.

If you want something to think about in your new field might I suggest Neurosarcoidosis? My wife actually has it and sadly it's not common enough for it to be well researched nor are treatments being developed. This is especially true if you want another challenge to tackle.

Good luck with your new job though.

Status
Not open for further replies.