Please help me copy information off of FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How do I now allow access to this server from a remote location so I can work from the local cafe or library?
That's advanced networking, if done properly. If not done properly, expect a visit from @RussianMafia.

You'd need to setup a VPN and use that to remotely access your LAN as if you were at home/work.

Donna Parker

Dabbler
Donna, I think it would be a good time to take a hard look at your current situation.

• You are talking about your business. Your data is valuable.
  • You have no IT staff.
  • You are entirely new to computer networking and servers.
  • Your Freenas server sounds like it might be using less than ideal hardware.
  • You seem to be running a solo operation right now.

Based on the above, I'm not sure if freenas is for you.

This will be somewhat controversial, but perhaps a good game plan for you is to
1) copy data off the server
and
2) subscribe to a cloud storage or backup provider. Crash plan, onedrive, etc.

There is a monthly cost associated with using such a provider, but it's probably less than hiring a contractor to maintain your server.

What cloud storage would you recommend? This may be an ideal solution. I actually have 3 full timers working for me so if everyone could access the same files that would be great. =)

nojohnny101

Wizard
It is generally good practice to post how you ended up solving your problem so if others google search in the future and come across your post, they find a solution. Contribute a little!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Ok I'm going to see if I can REALLY push the boundaries now.... and please tell me if this is just something that is too hard or not a good idea.

How do I now allow access to this server from a remote location so I can work from the local cafe or library?
Please start a new thread for new questions. People reading the thread titles will not see the new question. More people with more knowledge about the question will see it in a new thread with a title that concisely states the question, like "How can I access FreeNAS data remotely?"

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What cloud storage would you recommend? This may be an ideal solution. I actually have 3 full timers working for me so if everyone could access the same files that would be great. =)

There are quite a few options. Microsoft's Office365 / Onedrive are an option. Google Apps / Google Drive are another option. You will need to figure out your exact needs before purchasing one. Feel free to PM me and I can give you a few pointers. There are pros and cons to doing things this way. (This is going pretty off-topic).

Last edited:
J

jkh

Well, no one can fault you for a lack of ambition, Donna. :D

However, in this case it's not really possible directly with FreeNAS 9 because it doesn't have a built-in OpenVPN (or any VPN) server. We finally caved and added this to 10 as an official service, but for 9 (and even for 10) your best option is to put the FreeNAS box, along with any other resources you might want to access remotely, behind a separate firewall machine and install a VPN server (or simply use the one it likely already has) on it. Then you can install a suitable VPN client on your machine, add the VPN access keys (that the server will export for you), and you're off to the races with full (but safe, encrypted) cafe access for your laptop without also opening your important resource(s) to the rest of the big, bad Internet.

Remember: On the Internet, you're always right next door to a really bad neighborhood. You need locks on your doors.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I owe everyone here an apology. What I said was not intended to cause offense, but I recognize that it may have done so.

I'm sorry.

:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.