Please help me copy information off of FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna Parker

Dabbler
My Name is Donna and I own a design agency and I've sold my office and looking for a new one. I now have our server at home and I need to get a few things off it. I thought it would be as easy as plugging it in, and using it not to dissimilar to a normal laptop or pc. Well wasn't I wrong!!!

So if you're up to the challenge, here's everything I know about what I have.... And I have no idea about networks. I never set this up, Alex employee did for me.

I have the FreeNAS software running and when it finishes loading it comes to a black screen with the following....

1) Configure Network interfaces
2) configure link aggregation
3) configure VLAN interface
4) configure default route
5) configure static routes
6) configure DNS
7) reset root password
8) reset to factory defaults
9) shell
10) system update (requires networking)
11) create backup
12) restore from a backup
13) reboot
14) shutdown

Now my big issue is my entire agency is on this server.... Well over 4 years of it anyways and I need to access the files stored on it.

I've got the computer (which is running FreeNAS) plugged into port 1 (not into a wall socket, just straight into it) of a Netgear ProSAFE GS1163 and in port 2 I have my laptop plugged in.

I have no idea of the previous configuration or wires and or the setup of this system but I need to get to the files on this machine ASAP.

After all it is the Crazt Season and we are very busy.

Yes I could hire someone to help, but where's the fun in that. I do believe however that I need more than just a start up guide, but if the answer to my question is elsewhere throughout these forums please point me in the right direction.

If you have any questions about my set up just let me know.

Oh and one other thing, in the past this I currently have plugged into port 2 was never set up to access the FreeNAS server. So I may need to change settings on it too.

Thanks everyone who is patient enough to help this useless girl out.... Love you, THEx BIGGEST ROOKIE EVER!!!

leenux_tux

Patron
Donna,

Managing the server is done via a web browser. As anodos states, there should be text somewhere on the "black" scvreen that says use http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to manage the server (where xxx will be numbers, like 192.168.1.100, or similar). Make sure the server is connected to the network, make sure your PC/Laptop is connected to the network. Open up your web browser and enter the numbers as they appear on the FreeNAS box. Hopefully you will get a logon screen appear.

Post the results back and hopefully we (the "forum") can get you accessing your data. Might be an itterative process unless your happy to let someone have remote access to your network.

emk2203

Guru
Please give us some additional information. What OS do you use on the laptop? Since you are design-oriented, I would guess it's a Mac. This could matter later on.

Donna Parker

Dabbler
I don't get anything when I type in the http://number. It gives me a screen on Chrome saying "This site can't be reached" http://XXX.XXX took too long to respond. I've also tried just plugging both computers straight into each other using a the network cables. This didn't change anything either. =(

Any other ideas guys?

emk2203 - I have Windows 10 on my computer. (Yes I have a PC laptop, I love the shortcuts on PC's compared to Mac's.)

=)

So I've also plugged in one of the work computers which is also windows 10 and this used to be connected to the network in the office. So the ONLY difference now, is that the computers (server and my work comp) are both plugged straight into the NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116E Switch. Where as in the office, both these devices would have been connected to the wall first. (if that makes sense).

So not winning. =(

J

jkh

The fundamental problem you're having here is that the box has no IP address, which it's simply not going to get when plugged directly into your laptop using a cross-over cable because the PC isn't a DHCP server (at least, not by default and without some fairly significant Windows expertise on your part). You need to pick a pair of addresses from a suitable RFC1918 address range, say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 (whichever side is which makes no difference) and configure the FreeNAS's networking interface for one and the Windows PC's networking interface for the other. Then reset the root password from the FreeNAS console UI and log into the web UI using the FreeNAS IP you picked from that pair.

And if that's all greek to you then "the fun in that" will be learning stuff like this, which isn't even from the advanced chapter in the book - it's more chapter 2 material at best.

Either that or you could decide maybe this isn't as much fun as it sounded like and find an IT person who can do everything I just mentioned above in about 2 minutes flat. Your choice. :D

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I don't get anything when I type in the http://number.
Most likely, the box has a static address, and your laptop gets it's address via DHCP, and they aren't on the same subnet. For example, the box is at, say, 192.168.1.100, but your laptop is at, say, 192.168.0.50, and the subnet is 255.255.255.0.

You can fix this by changing the network settings (item 1 on the console menu).

Donna Parker

Dabbler
The fundamental problem you're having here is that the box has no IP address, which it's simply not going to get when plugged directly into your laptop using a cross-over cable because the PC isn't a DHCP server (at least, not by default and without some fairly significant Windows expertise on your part). You need to pick a pair of addresses from a suitable RFC1918 address range, say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 (whichever side is which makes no difference) and configure the FreeNAS's networking interface for one and the Windows PC's networking interface for the other. Then reset the root password from the FreeNAS console UI and log into the web UI using the FreeNAS IP you picked from that pair.

And if that's all greek to you then "the fun in that" will be learning stuff like this, which isn't even from the advanced chapter in the book - it's more chapter 2 material at best.

Either that or you could decide maybe this isn't as much fun as it sounded like and find an IT person who can do everything I just mentioned above in about 2 minutes flat. Your choice. :D

When you said BOX.... You lost me ha ha.... There's 2 boxes (computers) and the switch. Which looks kinda like a box. I may know a lot about design but nothing about computers or networking.

But I am definitely up for the challenge ! !

emk2203

Guru
Donna, you need 'absolute beginner' instructions, which is difficult over a forum because of the necessary feedback for every small step.

I have some time to spare (it's just eight o' clock here), do you have a chat program which you feel comfortable with (Skype, Whatsapp, ...)?

Donna Parker

Dabbler
Not sure if it makes any difference but the computer running FreeNAS is just a normal computer, it's not a special looking box or anything like that. I'm pretty sure it's just running 2 X Sata mirror drives.

Donna Parker

Dabbler
Donna, you need 'absolute beginner' instructions, which is difficult over a forum because of the necessary feedback for every small step.

I have some time to spare (it's just eight o' clock here), do you have a chat program which you feel comfortable with (Skype, Whatsapp, ...)?

I have 30mins.... And you can Skype me on parkersomeone. That would be AMAZING!!!!!

leenux_tux

Patron
Donna,

You say you are typing in an IP address in to your web browser, is this number being shown on the screen of the server once it is booted up ? What is the IP address ? I would imagine that your laptop is getting automatic IP address assignment from your Internet router/modem. Without getting to deep into the networking side of things the two IP addresses need to be similar. For example your laptop might have
Your server should have
  • 192.168.1.xxx
The first three sets of numbers should be the same for both other wise they will not be able to talk to each other.

To easily find the IP address on your laptop (this is for Windows, I haven't a clue about MAC!), go to your start button, click on the search programs text box and enter the text "cmd" (without the quotes). The command prompt program will be listed, click on it and you will get a funny looking box appear. Enter the command "ipconfig" (again, without the quotes). You will get a bunch of information returned, you are interested in the text where it mentions your "Ethernet adapter local connection" (if you are connected via Ethernet) or "Wireless...." if you are connected via WiFi. Look for an IP address as detailed above, make a note of it.

Whilst you are there try doing this "ping IP_ADDRESS_OF_SERVER" (no quotes), example ping 192.168.1.100 (or whatever the IP address is of the server)

Send back the results

I have a suspicion that the server has been given a hard coded IP address that doesn't match your local IP addressing,

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Donna, I think it would be a good time to take a hard look at your current situation.

• You are talking about your business. Your data is valuable.
  • You have no IT staff.
  • You are entirely new to computer networking and servers.
  • Your FreeNAS server sounds like it might be using less than ideal hardware.
  • You seem to be running a solo operation right now.

Based on the above, I'm not sure if FreeNAS is for you.

This will be somewhat controversial, but perhaps a good game plan for you is to
1) copy data off the server
and
2) subscribe to a cloud storage or backup provider. Crash plan, onedrive, etc.

There is a monthly cost associated with using such a provider, but it's probably less than hiring a contractor to maintain your server.

Last edited by a moderator:

diedrichg

Wizard
1: Right-click the network icon in the Windows taskbar
E9H9GKN.png

2: Click this
dEuhIrE.png

3: On this screen, click your ethernet controller
Be90ty9.png

4: Click Details
CrKicm5.png

5: Note the information in these boxes. We want to make sure that your laptop/desktop is on the same network as the FreeNAS box. In my example, my desktop is 192.168.1.110 and my FreeNAS is 192.168.1.11 - the commonality is the 192.168.1, as long as those are the same then we can proceed.
1DB3toK.png

6: Now look at your FreeNAS box. You mentioned the black screen, you will see similar info highlighted below. Copy this down.
VoEsxTj.png

7: Go to a web browser and type in that address (http://192.168.1.11 in my case) and you will hopefully get this.
A9eAg24.png

8: Now let's hope that you have the admin user/password. Edit: I was reminded that you can change the password from the black screen with the 14 menu items.

9: Please provide us with the Build number - this is the version of your FreeNAS server software. This will be the first screen you see when you login.
pUXxI0M.png

10: Next, click Sharing. Then click Windows (SMB) ... yours may say "Windows (CIFS)". Write down the "Name".
iQgXivq.png

11: Back in Windows: Open Windows Explorer and type your server address into the address bar followed by the share name. Please be sure to include the backslashes. e.g. \\192.168.1.11\sharename
X3ikgvq.png

You should now have access to your server! Beyond this, you will need to get someone knowledgeable to manage the server and its configurations.

Last edited:

Donna Parker

Dabbler
You guys are all teh greatest humans alive..... but the big award goes to Diedrichg, cause those instructions were PERFECT and worked 1st time!! LOVE YOU DIEDRICHG!!!

Who would have thought I'd pass my beginners Networking class so quickly ha ha

Thanks so much to everyone for you time and also to EMK2203 who patiently had me on skype for over half an hour before I had to leave before we could get it all sorted.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! =)

Donna Parker

Dabbler
Ok I'm going to see if I can REALLY push the boundaries now.... and please tell me if this is just something that is too hard or not a good idea.

How do I now allow access to this server from a remote location so I can work from the local cafe or library?

See told you I was trying to push the boundaries too far. =s

emk2203

Guru
This is typically set up by dedicated IT guys who know what they are doing, because the risks are high. If you make a mistake, you open up the server for the whole wide world to access your files, change them, delete them, make a file exchange for illicit material and what have you.

I really would advise you to talk this through person-to-person with someone who has solid expertise, also discussing your exact use case and what possible setup would be the best fit for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.