Please check the computer specifications for TrueNAS and give me advice.

HaNue

Dabbler
After decades of storing photos and videos on a single hard drive, I found out about TrueNAS while searching for data storage because of the increasing number of hard drives and the smaller rooms.

As a test, I installed it on a computer with z390 / i9-9900k / 64gb / 2070s / 630w and succeeded in sharing zfs and smb, so I'm building a new PC and looking for hardware.

The specifications I'm thinking of
Ryzen5 5600 / ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A / 128GB ECC(64x2) / WD 22TB x 4ea / SF-750W / SATA Controller / 4U Rackmount

I'm thinking about it like this, but is there anything I need to fix?

Davvo

MVP
The following resources are a good way to start understanding TrueNAS.

That being said there are no issues with your configuration per se, proven you use a good HBA: it will probably work well, but since you are going for rackmount, 22 HDDs (please use CMR) and 128GB of ECC RAM you might as well pick server-grade hardware (things like IPMI are a very nice thing when you don't have an iGPU or a dedicated GPU). It would also open a path to future expansion (scale-up), especially RAM-wise... with that amout of drives, 128GB might feel tight.

Do also note that 2.5 Gbps is a bit notorious for creating issues, even with Intel iirc, and that your PSU might not be enough (see resource linked and verify yourself).

Finally, 22 drives is quite a lot and won't fit on a single vdev... Are you thinking of 2 vdevs composed by 11 drives in RAIDZ3 each?
This resource can help you understanding the performance you will get by various pool layouts.

Last edited:

HaNue

Dabbler
The following resources are a good way to start understanding TrueNAS.

That being said there are no issues with your configuration per se, proven you use a good HBA: it will probably work well, but since you are going for rackmount, 22 HDDs (please use CMR) and 128GB of ECC RAM you might as well pick server-grade hardware (things like IPMI are a very nice thing when you don't have an iGPU or a dedicated GPU). It would also open a path to future expansion (scale-up), especially RAM-wise... with that amout of drives, 128GB might feel tight.

Do also note that 2.5 Gbps is a bit notorious for creating issues, even with Intel iirc, and that your PSU might not be enough (see resource linked and verify yourself).

Finally, 22 drives is quite a lot and won't fit on a single vdev... Are you thinking of 2 vdevs composed by 11 drives in RAIDZ3 each?
This resource can help you understanding the performance you will get by various pool layouts.
Thank you for your answer.

1. I'm glad you said there's no big problem with my composition. Then should I change the composition a little bit and buy it?

2. (Proven you use a good HBA) Does this answer mean SAS/SATA raid controller?

3. Currently, we are planning to upgrade step by step after purchasing four HDDs for WD company's 22TB NAS.
(물론 메모리도 증설 할 것입니다)

4. I'm thinking of two vdevs. What I'm curious about here is, can I use the three vdevs, which are 4 pieces of 22TB, 8 pieces of 16TB, and 8 pieces of 8TB?

5. For the 2.5G network, we need to replace the motherboard, right?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
No, please read the linked resource about HBAs and RAID controllers.

Etorix

Wizard
1. I'm glad you said there's no big problem with my composition. Then should I change the composition a little bit and buy it?
If you've not yet bought the system, you may improve by going for a server-grade motherboard, such as AsRockRack B550D4U / X570D4U / X470D4U family of boards (to keep with the Ryzen CPU).

Basically any SAS controller based on LSI 2008/2308/3008.

3. Currently, we are planning to upgrade step by step after purchasing four HDDs for WD company's 22TB NAS.
(물론 메모리도 증설 할 것입니다)
To upgrade memory beyond 128 GB you need to look into EPYC or Xeon Scalable. (With thanks to Google Translate here.)

4. I'm thinking of two vdevs. What I'm curious about here is, can I use the three vdevs, which are 4 pieces of 22TB, 8 pieces of 16TB, and 8 pieces of 8TB?
It is possible to mix different vdevs in the same pool, but it is best if the vdevs have the same geometry.
Raidz# is appropriate for bulk storage of photos/videos, and 8-wide is a reasonable size. You could have a 8-wide raidz2 (or raidz3) vdev with 8*16 TB and another with 8*8 TB, but then it would be best to have 8*22 TB drives. (You cannot extend a 4-wide raidz2 to 8-wide later.)
Or you could do everything in 4-wide raidz2 vdevs, but that would not be a very efficient use of space.

With drives as large as 22 TB, 2-way mirrors are not advisable, and 3-way mirrors are expensive.

5. For the 2.5G network, we need to replace the motherboard, right?
Best pick a motherboard with server-grade Intel NICs (some AsRockRack motherboards even have 10 GbE on-board).
Otherwise, use a PCIe slot for a Chelsio/Solarflare/Intel card.

HaNue

Dabbler
If you've not yet bought the system, you may improve by going for a server-grade motherboard, such as AsRockRack B550D4U / X570D4U / X470D4U family of boards (to keep with the Ryzen CPU).

Basically any SAS controller based on LSI 2008/2308/3008.

To upgrade memory beyond 128 GB you need to look into EPYC or Xeon Scalable. (With thanks to Google Translate here.)

It is possible to mix different vdevs in the same pool, but it is best if the vdevs have the same geometry.
Raidz# is appropriate for bulk storage of photos/videos, and 8-wide is a reasonable size. You could have a 8-wide raidz2 (or raidz3) vdev with 8*16 TB and another with 8*8 TB, but then it would be best to have 8*22 TB drives. (You cannot extend a 4-wide raidz2 to 8-wide later.)
Or you could do everything in 4-wide raidz2 vdevs, but that would not be a very efficient use of space.

With drives as large as 22 TB, 2-way mirrors are not advisable, and 3-way mirrors are expensive.

Best pick a motherboard with server-grade Intel NICs (some AsRockRack motherboards even have 10 GbE on-board).
Otherwise, use a PCIe slot for a Chelsio/Solarflare/Intel card.
Thank you for your answer.

I haven't bought it yet.

Is it better to use all the products as a server?
The revised edition of Hardware recommendations 2021 states that low-cost cpu is sufficient if it is not used for file sharing purposes anymore.

Etorix

Wizard
Server-grade motherboards come with better NICs, presumably better ECC support (relevant for a Ryzen build, where ECC support is unofficial), and possibly IPMI for remote management.

A low cost CPU, Core i3 or Ryzen 3, is indeed sufficient for a home NAS. But you mentioned a 4U rack, lots of drives (4*22 TB + 8*16 TB + 8*8 TB), including big drives (16 and 22 TB, with the prospect that 8 TB drives may be upgraded to larger drives as well). That's a lot of data, much more than what was considered when writing the recommendations, and ZFS will benefit from a lot of RAM to handle such a large pool. 128 GB RAM should be comfortable, but if you ever want or need to increase RAM beyond that, you'll need a different platform.

HaNue

Dabbler
Server-grade motherboards come with better NICs, presumably better ECC support (relevant for a Ryzen build, where ECC support is unofficial), and possibly IPMI for remote management.

A low cost CPU, Core i3 or Ryzen 3, is indeed sufficient for a home NAS. But you mentioned a 4U rack, lots of drives (4*22 TB + 8*16 TB + 8*8 TB), including big drives (16 and 22 TB, with the prospect that 8 TB drives may be upgraded to larger drives as well). That's a lot of data, much more than what was considered when writing the recommendations, and ZFS will benefit from a lot of RAM to handle such a large pool. 128 GB RAM should be comfortable, but if you ever want or need to increase RAM beyond that, you'll need a different platform.
If i use the asrock rack x570,
Can I use up to 3 controllers?

I could only see 3 pci slots

The controller wants to use the product from the link below, is it okay?

Finally, I need more than 200TB of capacity.

So I wanted to make it into a disk with a large capacity on a single disk(ex. 22TB * 10ea)

PS. Once the storage has been built, it will only work when the files are moved and found, and the rest of the time will be closed

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
So I wanted to make it into a disk with a large capacity on a single disk(ex. 22TB * 10ea)
Please don't use RAIDZ1. Also, what is "ea"?
Do note that with a 10 disk vdev in RAIDZ2 (using 22TB drives) your usable space (80%) will be 129.84 TB.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also, what is "ea"?

Each. One of several notations sometimes used to specify quantity.

Do note that with a 10 disk vdev in RAIDZ2 (using 22TB drives) your usable space (80%) will be 129.84 TB.

Given the previous discussion of 8 x 8TB (48TB of RAIDZ2 pool space), if you then added two 8 x 16TB RAIDZ2 vdevs (96TB of RAIDZ2 pool space each), you get 240TB of pool space, or 192TB of usable space.

HaNue

Dabbler
Yes, but why would you?
Isn't it possible to fit only 8 hard disks with 8 inputs? That's what I understood.

If there are 6 sata pins and 3 pci slots on the main board,
I can fit 30 hdd, right?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Isn't it possible to fit only 8 hard disks with 8 inputs? That's what I understood.

You understood incorrectly. Please check out the SAS Primer.

An SAS expander takes 4 SAS lanes and can make it possible to service 24 or 36 hard drives from that.

4_catc_1-gif.6007

If you cascade expanders, you can probably run about a thousand drives off a single PCIe slot. Now, it might not be SMART to do that, I'm just saying you can theoretically do it.

HaNue

Dabbler
Each. One of several notations sometimes used to specify quantity.

Given the previous discussion of 8 x 8TB (48TB of RAIDZ2 pool space), if you then added two 8 x 16TB RAIDZ2 vdevs (96TB of RAIDZ2 pool space each), you get 240TB of pool space, or 192TB of usable space.
The capacity will continue to grow, so I hope the maximum capacity is high from the beginning (the largest capacity in the future, not the current available capacity)

I consulted with the CEO of the company I'm currently working at, but he said he doesn't need to go to the server level, so is it okay to give up ecc and go to the regular PC level?

Usage is for simple file backups and for finding files when needed. I won't always leave the server on and I'm going to turn it off.

HaNue

Dabbler
You understood incorrectly. Please check out the SAS Primer.

An SAS expander takes 4 SAS lanes and can make it possible to service 24 or 36 hard drives from that.

4_catc_1-gif.6007

If you cascade expanders, you can probably run about a thousand drives off a single PCIe slot. Now, it might not be SMART to do that, I'm just saying you can theoretically do it.
The computer world is very difficult.

I'll try my best to understand Thank you!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I consulted with the CEO of the company I'm currently working at, but he said he doesn't need to go to the server level, so is it okay to give up ecc and go to the regular PC level?

Only if you don't mind some risk of data loss. Show me a "regular PC" with 24 hard drives. It's a server. Refusing to call it a server doesn't make it "not-a-server."

Etorix

Wizard
ZFS without ECC is probably at least as safe as any other file system on ECC. But if this is company storage, holding quite a lot of data, presumably important company data, it is a pity not to do it by the textbook and skimp on ECC RAM.
The IPMI in Server-grade boards is useful to remotely manage and administer storage racks in the basement. What is saved today by going for a consumer board will be wasted time tomorrow when the technician will have to bring a screen and keyboard to the data center to investigate an issue with the server.