Pimp my FreeNAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPlumber

Patron
So, mine's not quite ready, but does anyone want to share pictures of their most badass FreeNAS hardware/setup/lab? :D

Yatti420

Wizard
Mines a black box.. Stuffed with drives..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
20140627_223543.jpg
This is how you pimp a FreeNAS box.

D4nthr4x

Explorer

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hell yeah. Wii is the most l33t platform for FreeNAS.

DaPlumber

Patron

DaPlumber

Patron

Nick Howard

Contributor
Tucks away nicely under my PC. The Fractal case does take some cooling though with 10 drives stuffed in there. I had to put the last two drives into the 5.25 drive bays too.

fteu6e.jpg
2wnqkol.jpg

DaPlumber

Patron
@Nick Howard: Labeled Cables! ( and a blow hole ) you must have done this before? :D So do you get enough air over the drives so that there isn't a tempreature differential bottom to top?

Nick Howard

Contributor
@Nick Howard: Labeled Cables! ( and a blow hole ) you must have done this before? :D So do you get enough air over the drives so that there isn't a tempreature differential bottom to top?

I have the exhaust at the top now and that has improved things rather than having it at the back. Temps of the drives are pretty much the same. Having the front door open drops all temps by about 4c so I'm thinking of taking it off. Saying that, under heaving load with the door closed for a full 24 hours the drives don't go above 48c now, I'm happy with that, these enterprise class drives can handle more heat than that,

DaPlumber

Patron
OK, my turn to be lambasted! :p

I have a ASRock iXsystems FreeNAS Mini, and we all know what those look like, and they're wonderful. ;) http://www.ixsystems.com/storage/freenas/ No, I'm not a shill, just a very satisfied customer.

However I thought the extra SATA ports were kinda going to waste so I decided to turn them into eSATA ports. I used the four Intel side ports although there is enough space for eight on the chassis because I'm not going to add more than another four drives, and a web of four eSATA cables is quite enough. :eek::
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

At present only two are in use and the other end was supposed to be an iStarUSA http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001894-REG/istarusa_dage440t7_es_4_bay_3_5_sas_sata_enclosure.html

But wound up being a little different:
photo 5.JPG

But for the price I'm not complaining.
For some reason the photo is sideways, and one of the trays is removed to show the spring loaded air/dust baffle that drops into place. The Drive tray is solid Al all around:
photo 4.JPG

Shown here with the top slid off for drive insertion. As you can see each tray has it's own fan as well as the fans in the case that swing out with a single thumbscrew:
photo.JPG

I'll stop now, but for $231.99 I think I have found a favorite new JBOD enclosure!

I found out the interior enclosures/trays were these: http://rma.istarusa.com/rackmount_chassis/storage_enclosure/sata/t-7-sa.aspx

So I know what to get for the 5th slot if I want one. I don't know exactly what "Military Series" means, but darned if they don't look like you could drive a tank over them, or a least a light APC! ;)

Now where did I put that other FreeNAS sticker... :D

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
image.jpg
image.jpg
My server is finally finished, I'm very happy with this case.

Knowltey

Patron
This makes me think I really should get in and cable manage mine :P

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
This makes me think I really should get in and cable manage mine :p
You're a Server Hardware Technician, show us your skills:p

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Those pictures are beautiful. They bring a tear to my eye!

mattlach

Patron
Alright, I'll bite!

Just finished my (re)build of my system.

15268538436_a8ac02e4ed_b.jpg

15105014177_e9190723e4.jpg
15288425961_80d5ed94a6.jpg
15104992598_819599393b.jpg

Please disregard the ghetto wire management and duct tape. I was in a rush to finish the job (the server also serves as my MythTV Backend, and my mother-in-law to be wanted to watch the news...) and couldn't find my bag of a gazillion little zip ties.

I will get back in there and clean it up some time soon :p

Mine is an "All in One" box of sorts. It serves as mt NAS, my general linux server, my router and firewall as well as my DVR for my TV.

15104817929_f85d18d3a6_b.jpg

In the pic above from top left:

Black box, very top left: Ceton InfiniTV 6 channel TV tuner (used with mythTV)
Switch to right of tuner: HP Procurve 1810G-24
Below Switch: Patch panel for wired Ethernet throughout house.
Below panel: Verizon FiOS Optical Network Terminal (ONT) supporting 150Mbit/150Mbit internet and Cable TV.
Further right: My ESXi server in a Norco RPC-4216 case
On top of server: Small 800x600 $30 LCD screen I use on the rare occasion I need console access to server.

Server Specs:

15291470712_95f030cd32_o.jpg

(Not sure why it says X8DT6, as it is definitely an X8DTE)

Server specs:

Norco RPC-4216 case
2 x Xeon L5640 (6 cores each, 2.27Ghz)
96 GB DDR3 Registered ECC RAM at 1333Mhz
Three dual port Intel Pro/1000 PT NIC's
One Broadcom NetXtreme single port NIC
Two IBM M1015 SAS controller's flashed to IT mode
Datastore/Boot: Samsung 840 Pro SSD, plus an old WD Blue hard drive for backups.

Guests:

pfSense
Handles Routing / firewall for house. Has a dedicated direct I/O forwarded dual port Intel NIC (one port for WAN, one for LAN) WAN is connected to FiOS ONT, LAN to switch. Is assigned two cores and 1GB of RAM.

FreeNAS
Is - well - the NAS for the house. The two SAS controllers are direct I/O forwarded to it, as is a dual port Intel NIC, set up with link aggregation/lagg/trunking/"whatever term you prefer" to the switch. It also connects internally using a VMXnet3 10gig link to a separate subnet dedicated to storage traffic between the servers. It is assigned 72Gigs of RAM, and 6 cores.

Storage is configured as follows:

Code:
    NAME                      
    zfshome                   
      raidz2-0                
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
      raidz2-1                
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
        Western Digital RED 4TB
    logs
          mirror-2                                     
            Intel S3700 100GB (underprovisioned to 15GB)
            Intel S3700 100GB (underprovisioned to 15GB)
    cache
      Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
      Samsung 850 Pro 128GB

MythBuntu Dedicated Backend
Handles DVR duties recording shows to the NAS via internal 10gig VMXnet3. Database and liveTV ringbuffer is recorded to SSD for performance. Has a direct I/O forwarded Intel NIC in link aggregated mode to switch. Assigned 4GB of RAM and 4 cores.

Ubuntu Server
Handles basic server tasks. Runs Ubiquiti Unifi server software, used for wgets and rtorrent to storage. Will be used for cloud backup in the future. Connects to FreeNAS using vmxnet3 10gig and has one of the two on board Intel NIC ports forwarded to it.

I have two vswitches set up. One which just connects the management console to the on-board Realtek NIC, and the other on a sseparate subnet from the house network, which is for internal storage traffic between FreeNAS, Ubuntu Server and Mythbuntu Backend. It gets 2 gigs of ram and two cores.

SFTP
Wanted an isolated and jailed SFTP server, and was having trouble combining it on the Ubuntu server above, so I gave it its own guest. Network is shared with the management interface on one of thw teo on board Intel ports. It gets two cores and 512MB of RAM

In the future I may ad a dedicated guest for remote backup, if I can't comfortably combine it with the Ubuntu server above.

Only thing I am missing now is a good UPS, and I'll be "done" (for now :p )

Last edited:

Knowltey

Patron
You're a Server Hardware Technician, show us your skills:p

Eh, the case I have isn't server hardware, it's just an Antec 300 with virtually no cable management features which is why I haven't really bothered besides the basic "get the cables out of the airflow" level of management.

mattlach

Patron
Those pictures are beautiful. They bring a tear to my eye!

Agreed. Some really tidy cable management there. That's never been my strength (but its usually better than in my current build)

I hate working under the pressure of time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.