PHPVirtualBox Install Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nassato

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
I have had FreeNAS up and running a while and recently decided to install PHPVirtualBox from the Jail template - the idea is to run Plex from there in order to get access to the Premium Music Library.
I've looked at a handful of posts on how to get this up and running but nothing is specific enough for me to really follow... I have some Linux knowledge and am typically able to follow technical instructions, but this is stumping me left and right.
I have the jail installed but it seems like the config.php is messed up or I am missing some fundamental step because the web interface loads fine, and I can go thru the motions of adding a VM, but it fails saying:
There was an error obtaining the list of registered virtual machines from VirtualBox. Make sure vboxwebsrv is running and that the settings in config.php are correct
Instructions say to raname config.php and then modify the username and password to reflect the account that is running the Virtual Box VMs... would that user be the user that is logged into FreeNAS, or what?

From searching for config.php from the FreeNAS shell it finds it in 2 locations:

Code:
/mnt/NAS/.warden-template-VirtualBox-4.3.12/usr/local/www/phpvirtualbox/config.php

/mnt/NAS/.warden-template-VirtualBox-4.3.12/usr/local/www/phpvirtualbox/lib/config.php

Which do I modify?

Is this even the correct approach or am I supposed to be doing this from the shell of the Vbox Jail?

I see the services running in the FreeNAS shell as well, using top, but the user for all the Vbox services are 1001, I would expect them to be root. Also, are these services supposed to be running inside the jail or FreeNAS? I have tried to restart the service with:
Code:
/etc/init.d/vboxweb-service start

but the output is:
Code:
bash: /etc/init.d/vboxweb-service: No such file or directory

To reiterate my questions:
1. Where exactly is the config.php file I need to modify, is there an example of a config.php anywhere anyone can supply?
2. What username and password is the config.php asking me to add?
3. Is the user for vboxwebsrv supposed to be root or 1001?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been addressed, I have been searching forums related to this issue for the last couple days and only finding segments of answers to the questions I have.

nassato

Dabbler
Is there some reason you have to use Linux for this?
I have Plex running in a jail now but the premium Music Library is not supported on FreeBSD, so a workaround was to install a VM in PHPVirtualBox jail and run Plex from there, the suggestion was to install 'Ubuntu Server' but I would most certainly be open to other suggestions if there is a better way to get the Premium Music Library up and running from FreeNas somehow.
However, I still would like to get PHPVirtualBox up and running. I feel like I am very close, just missing one or two (or... a million?) steps.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

nassato

Dabbler
Wish I could help - I don't remember running into any issues. Have you tried starting over?

Yea I started over a few times, its actually getting kinda messy, I need to go thru and delete some unused directories since it will actually create one for the VDI but then error out after.
Do you recall modifying the config.php file? To my understanding, at very least, you need to change the name from config.php-example to config.php.
Also, if you have it running, could you hop into the FreeNAS shell and check a couple things for me, if you have the time...
1. run
Code:
then check to see what user is running the virtualbox services
2. run
Code:
find / -name config.php
and let me know where yours is, and if there is only one related to virtualbox.
I would be forever grateful... If not, no big deal, I can keep hunting.
Thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have Plex running in a jail now but the premium Music Library is not supported on FreeBSD, so a workaround was to install a VM in PHPVirtualBox jail and run Plex from there, the suggestion was to install 'Ubuntu Server' but I would most certainly be open to other suggestions if there is a better way to get the Premium Music Library up and running from FreeNas somehow.

06a4ee6dccb4579e2cda121b44426f13.jpg

My premium music library would like to say hi, from a FreeNAS jail.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
...any input would be appreciated, if you can
Input on what?

I installed plexpassmediaserver in a jail.

I went in and added my premium library.

I don't think there was anything special in any of it.

nassato

Dabbler
Input on what?

I installed plexpassmediaserver in a jail.

I went in and added my premium library.

I don't think there was anything special in any of it.
interesting... i did not get an option for premium music library (plex pass subscriber), so i checked the documentation for it on the Plex website and it says that FreeBSD is not supported

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
interesting... i did not get an option for premium music library (plex pass subscriber), so i checked the documentation for it on the Plex website and it says that FreeBSD is not supported
Did you install the plexpassmediaserver from pkg or did you use the plugin?

nassato

Dabbler
Like I said in my previous post, I installed plexpassmediaserver. ;)

I didn't use a plugin for Plex. It is way too easy to install on your own.
any chance you can point me in any sort of direction? I am happy you have it working and that it was very simple for you, but I am not really following what you are saying... is installing plexpassmediaserver not the same as installing plex in a jail or plugin? is there a paid version of the plex server i need to upgrade to? i thought you just paid to unlock features of the server that is already installed, perhaps no?
this is starting to seem like it should be in the plex forums... if you can't help then i suppose i will see if anyone over there might be able to.
Thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
any chance you can point me in any sort of direction? I am happy you have it working and that it was very simple for you, but I am not really following what you are saying... is installing plexpassmediaserver not the same as installing plex in a jail or plugin? is there a paid version of the plex server i need to upgrade to? i thought you just paid to unlock features of the server that is already installed, perhaps no?
this is starting to seem like it should be in the plex forums... if you can't help then i suppose i will see if anyone over there might be able to.
Thanks!
There are 2 versions of Plex.

One is regular Plex.

The other is Plex for plexpass members.

They are both available in pkg inside a jail, but if you use the plugin, it only installs the regular Plex.

From my understanding though, it shouldn't matter which one you have installed, but the plexpass version does get all the features the plexpass members have access to.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
(and as a separate data point - someone around here tried PHPVirtualBox for something else and the performance was abysmal)

nassato

Dabbler
There are 2 versions of Plex.

One is regular Plex.

The other is Plex for plexpass members.

They are both available in pkg inside a jail, but if you use the plugin, it only installs the regular Plex.

From my understanding though, it shouldn't matter which one you have installed, but the plexpass version does get all the features the plexpass members have access to.
thank you VERY much, I somehow never came across that over the last couple days or perhaps overlooked it. in either case, i really appreciate your help!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
thank you VERY much, I somehow never came across that over the last couple days or perhaps overlooked it. in either case, i really appreciate your help!
Just doing some preliminary reading into why it "works on my machine", and I see that GraceNote and PlexMix are still not implemented or available on FreeBSD, neither of which I use, so I did not notice their absence. I do remember when I originally installed the plexpassmediaserver version, I went in and created a 'Premium Music Library' just to see if I could. I have not touched it since, but it is updating frequently, so I assume it is working as intended.

So, give the jail a shot and see if you can add it, I would be interested to know if what I have is a fluke.

nassato

Dabbler
give the jail a shot and see if you can add it, I would be interested to know if what I have is a fluke.
i am not sure how to install the plexpass server as opposed to the plex server once inside the shell of the jail

Status
Not open for further replies.