PF sense + freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattan

Explorer
Would it be possible to run both PF sense and Freenas on the same server? Ideally I would like to tinker with having full control over my own router but I would like to cut down on the actual foot print and not have two servers running.

Is it possible to load PF sense into the main core of Freenas and have it act as its own router?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Would it be possible to run both PF sense and Freenas on the same server? Ideally I would like to tinker with having full control over my own router but I would like to cut down on the actual foot print and not have two servers running.

Is it possible to load PF sense into the main core of Freenas and have it act as its own router?
The experts say NO

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Firewall/router should be it's own device. You could get everything running on the same host but probably not worth it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
virtualizing your router/firewall is fine if done on a proper hypervisor.

FreeNAS is not a hypervisor, and it does not containerize the components or segregate the hardware like a proper hypervisor. If you could even get it running (it would have to be running through virtualbox plugin), you would have a hell of a time getting it to remain stable and secure. Not to mention the trouble of actually presenting the appropriate NICs through to the jail.

It won't work on FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Over at the pfSense forums, they have a useful thread explaining why pfSense and FreeNAS will not be integrated into one product, and why this is a bad idea. We might need one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.