Permissions suck

sfryman

Dabbler
Always.

So much confusion.

So many problems.

People may downvote because they understand completely and SECURITY,

Don't care.

Sucks. Hard. Most people don't get it. Most people wind up setting 777 or something similar and thus security is moot.

Permissions suck.

Period. Exclamation mark. etc.

Why cannot this be fixed?

garm

Wizard
Personally I hate keys, they make doors I try to go through stuck in place..

sfryman

Dabbler
Personally I hate keys, they make doors I try to go through stuck in place..
Sure, except...

99% of people understand keys

1% of people understand linux permissions

Perhaps the problem is people? People are stupid? (actually good chance there)
Or...the system is not optimal

garm

Wizard
My 4-year old understands Unix permissions.. She owns her LEGO, her friends are allowed to play with them, but not anyone else.

Owner, groups and everyone
Read, write and execute

I fail to understand how it could be simpler, ACL can do more complex permissions, but is definitely not easier..

aasikki

Dabbler
My 4-year old understands Unix permissions.. She owns her LEGO, her friends are allowed to play with them, but not anyone else.

Owner, groups and everyone
Read, write and execute

I fail to understand how it could be simpler, ACL can do more complex permissions, but is definitely not easier..
Well yeah, it's simple in principle, but there must be a reason every time I use Linux, permissions is what makes me hate myself (and even Linux). Sure it sounds simple enough to allow a group or user to access files, or set the owner, but if you have no I idea what group/user you should give permissions for... It becomes a battle of googling for 7 hours and still not finding the solution, because apparently the permissions are so simple that there's no need to document them properly... And every time the fault is at the user, not whoever decided that the user shall figure out everything by themselves... At least on windows, I can do whatever I want when I download a file using a torrent client. In linux world, for some reason the torrent client apparently owns the file and I have to manually give myself permission to it every time I download something. Sure it's good for security but there must be a way to just let me use the files as I should. But no, no amount of googling managed to help me fix that issue. This was back when I was using ubuntu for my torrents though, nothing to do with truenas, just an example of how frustrating permissions can become. Sadly no one else really seems to agree that these problems exist, so it must be just me....

MisterE2002

Patron
Permissions is a common issue. Things get complicated with ACL's, virtualized systems/containers translating UID's to host UID's. Sharing via Samba. Umasks, Sticky bits, etc.

This is not something TrueNAS can *fix*.
Lot of youtube video's making a stupid see-how-easy-to-install guide. But never a how you actually should setup the real stuff.

But for lots of user it would be wise just to use something like Synology/QNAP

aasikki

Dabbler
Permissions is a common issue. Things get complicated with ACL's, virtualized systems/containers translating UID's to host UID's. Sharing via Samba. Umasks, Sticky bits, etc.

This is not something TrueNAS can *fix*.
Lot of youtube video's making a stupid see-how-easy-to-install guide. But never a how you actually should setup the real stuff.

But for lots of user it would be wise just to use something like Synology/QNAP
Fair enough. I'm willing to learn though, I just honestly have no idea what I should be learning right now... Everything else on freenas has been smooth sailing for me, but running a custom docker image has proven to be... what feels impossible. It works fine until I mount a volume, can't figure out at all what's wrong. Running the container as a specified user and granting that user acces to the dataset doesn't help, neither does running the container as root (which is admittedly stupid but I tried anyway just to troubleshoot).

HueGasshole

Cadet
Always.

So much confusion.

So many problems.

People may downvote because they understand completely and SECURITY,

Don't care.

Sucks. Hard. Most people don't get it. Most people wind up setting 777 or something similar and thus security is moot.

Permissions suck.

Period. Exclamation mark. etc.

Why cannot this be fixed?

Trying to set permissions makes me want to use another service. I set up SyncThing for my work laptop to sync certain files to my server. That all works great. I am trying to give myself permission on my home PC to access those files. I can into the main folder but it's the recursive permissions that are kicking my butt. I give up. I don't care. I don't want them this bad. I just keep getting stupid excuses as to why truenas doesn't feel like working. They are my files and I should be able to access them. Get rid of all the nonsense and let me set up permissions easily.