Permissions/Ownership, moving data to separate disk and resetting up Freenas 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyBox

Dabbler
Greetings,
Background:
- 4 Users, including guest account, ( 2 Windows, 1 Linux, 1 Mac, guest was mixed - freenas CIFS)
- sam_rids problems

- What I want to do:
Pull all the data off of my freenas box, put it on a 5 TB sata disk attached to my linux box. Completely destroy the pool on the freenas box, reset the box, recreate a new pool, add new users, put the data from the 5 TB disk back onto the Freenas, give each user back their respective access to their data.

- Why I want to do it:
I started having the sam_rids.. problem after I upgraded from 9.2.1.3 to 9.2.1.9. I recently tried to backup via USB, and I never actually got really going with it after reading all the problems regarding USB. When I removed the drive, I had pool problems, and had to resilver a drive that got mixed up, thanks to the guidance of several really helpful folks here and the manual. I got all my data back, but ever since I have had a "geli cannot access ada0..". A lot of searching the forum, I could only find one really relevant thread from a couple of years ago from Cyberjock. It was the old version, freenas 8.3 I think. This doesn't really appear to be a problem though, my disks rekeyed fine, and have worked well since, just get log errors. Ultimately, I want free of the sam_rids problems as well as the GEOM_ELI cannot access disk (the old one).

- Getting Started:
I ssh into the freenas box, as a particular user, and scp the data from my freenas to the linux box. When moving the data with one user, I got a permissions denied error on transfer of some particular files. I deleted the entire folder on linux, ssh back into the box as ROOT, scp the user folder over, no issues that I can tell.

The problem that I can see is that permissions and ownership are set for root after I do this. Thinking about it, I could probably tar the folder and then move it over, at least some people on the web using freebsd forums have used this method.
There isn't a lot of info out there regarding ownership, at least pertaining to why it might be important with regards to windows (There is a lot, but generally on the web it seems to be that you should try to preserve such, as time/date stamps, etc and not a lot of why you should do htis). Can I not just chown the files once I re-add the data? I don't have access to one of the computers the data was from anymore, likewise, one user just got a new computer and their username/access will be different.

If anyone has an experience with a similar situation I would appreciate any advice. I'm not using rsync because my understanding is that if I rsync the data over to the linux disk, resetup the freenas box, and then try to reimport the data, the sam_rids problem would follow because of permissions on the data.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.