Permissions Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdwosk97

Patron
I'm trying to copy a file from my Mac to my FreeNAS server but I keep running into permission issues.
I can't copy a 10gb~ folder, but I can copy the folder's 10gb's of content.

P.s.
What's the difference between using Unix, Mac, and Windows Permission Types?

AFP's Permissions:
6IxIpwE.png

Volume permissions:
8E5pmYo.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Switch the dataset to be Mac permissions since you are using amac over afp. You also shouldn't share the root of your pool, you are going to break things the way you have it set up. Create a new dataset and share that. Don't change the permissions of your root pool/dataset.

djdwosk97

Patron
Switch the dataset to be Mac permissions since you are using amac over afp. You also shouldn't share the root of your pool, you are going to break things the way you have it set up. Create a new dataset and share that. Don't change the permissions of your root pool/dataset.
I also occasionally do access the server from a windows pc, so should I still set the permissions type to mac?

And when you say I shouldn't share the root of the pool, you mean that I should create a dataset within /mnt/video1 and share that? and then should I leave the pool's permissions (second screenshot) exactly as it is? (why would doing what I'm doing break things)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you access it using Windows then just use cifs and windows permissions. Don't bother with afp.

Sharing out the root dataset will break jails and is general not best practices. If you follow the wizard it creates a dataset for you when you create a share.

djdwosk97

Patron
If you access it using Windows then just use cifs and windows permissions. Don't bother with afp.

Sharing out the root dataset will break jails and is general not best practices. If you follow the wizard it creates a dataset for you when you create a share.
Is there any performance reason to opt for CIFS/AFP? I mostly access the server from a Mac, but occasionally access from a windows pc.

Well, I have 4tb worth of data in the root data set and the only jail I have set up/can see myself using is Plex (and right now I'm not even using that although it works fine). So would creating a secondary dataset and not sharing the root dataset solve the permission's issue I'm having, if it wouldn't then, at least for now, I don't think it's worth transferring everything to a new dataset.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
afp is deprecated and smb is what apple is moving to. Even if it doesn't fix your problem you need to do it. Because to fix your permission issue you need to modify the dataset type and when you do that your jail will break.

djdwosk97

Patron
afp is deprecated and smb is what apple is moving to. Even if it doesn't fix your problem you need to do it. Because to fix your permission issue you need to modify the dataset type and when you do that your jail will break.
Alright, so I'm going to create the new dataset. So right now I have three volumes: /mnt/video1 /mnt/video2 and /mnt/video3. So what I want to do is go under each volume, create a new dataset within each volume. So for example I'd create a new dataset in Video1 called TV, which would create /mnt/Video1/TV directory? Then would I be able to copy the data from /mnt/Video1 straight into the new dataset: in a shell I would just be able to do mv /mnt/Video1/TV /mnt/Video1 or would I have to first move that data to another drive and then move it into the new dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.