SOLVED PLEASE HELP... Can't access my data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running FreeNAS 11, was having issues with my SMB shares so I deleted all of them and changed the permissions on my pool and datasets to unix so I could just SSH or FTP and copy all my data off to recreate my pool. I can connect to my nas, move between most directories but if i go into a directory that is more than 2 levels deep than the root of the pool or try to copy to or from I get a connection timeout error in winscp. I have reinstalled FreeNAS and imported my volume but the issue remains. zpool status comes back clean, my last scrub ran Friday 9/22 and found no errors. I am completely lost on what to try next and would absolutely appreciate some assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
FreeNAS version and hardware specs required for all posts. Also include screen shots of zpool status and winscp errors

FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G3920 @ 2.90GHz
16225MB
7x 3tb 7200RPM drives
1 ZFS2 pool
10gbSFP+ DAC connecting NAS to Server
Code:
pool: BigDATA3TB																												
state: ONLINE																													
  scan: scrub canceled on Tue Sep 26 19:11:39 2017																				
config:																															

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM												
		BigDATA3TB									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
		  raidz2-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/bb996954-7c4c-11e7-a955-000c29cb9dba  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/bcc327e2-7c4c-11e7-a955-000c29cb9dba  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/bdbffeb3-7c4c-11e7-a955-000c29cb9dba  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/bedd308b-7c4c-11e7-a955-000c29cb9dba  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/c2abef3c-7c4c-11e7-a955-000c29cb9dba  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/c679b2c9-7c4c-11e7-a955-000c29cb9dba  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/ca8fbeaa-7c4c-11e7-a955-000c29cb9dba  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												

errors: No known data errors																										

pool: freenas-boot																												
state: ONLINE																													
  scan: none requested																											
config:																															

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM																					
		freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0																					
		  da7p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

I am not in front of the machine that had WinSCP but it was just giving a generic connection timeout error and i could reconnect but once i started a file copy it would copy about 10kb worth of data then the transfer rate would drop to 0 and the connection would timeout about 30 seconds after. this happened everytime.

The reason I was using FTP via winscp was because SMB was giving me issues prior to that. I could access my shares fine but once i navigated 1-2 folder levels deep it would cause file explorer to clock and then crash and if i tried to copy to or from the share the copy window would just sit at calculating the entire time.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How is your network setup? Verify you can ping your client and your client can ping your server. Also run iperf and tracerout. Can you use just ssh and move around in the filesystem?

trace and ping both are good. It is DAC SFP+ so only a single hop with nothing in between. I have tested both SFP NICs in other devices and they work fine with no communication errors. This can be marked solved/closed now as I was able to work around the problem by reinstalling FreeNAS onto another drive. Even though my usb stick was not giving any errors or showed any indication of issues once I installed on a spare SSD I have and recreate my SMB share i can now copy to and from my pool. running multiple tests on the usb stick now but everything is coming back clean so no clue why moving to a SSD has made this work.

Thanks for your time and effort on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.