Passing storage to VM in 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

katit

Contributor
Probably simple question, but I can't find answer quickly.

Because of this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-4-8-3.55500/

I just upgraded to 11.0. All seems to go well. Then I created VM with CentOS. Pretty intuitive (also no documentation).
a. Added CD, pointed to ISO
b. Added Disk. This one I had to think about as I didn't have any ZVols. So, I did create one on my main pool and set it to AHCI

Install went fine and now after figuring VNC (never used it before) I'm able to login to my instance with SSH. Great!

And now I realize that I need to somehow share my Storage. I "suspect" that I need to add it as "DISKS" to VM. But all of my storage setup as Datasets, not ZVols.

What should I do?

Artion

Patron
Could you mount them as shared storage?

Inviato dal mio YD201 utilizzando Tapatalk

katit

Contributor
I am not sure what you mean

Artion

Patron
Is the Centos VM in the same subnet of FN? If this is the case you can browse the network from the VM, find FN shares and mount them. If this is what you want. Maybe I didn't catch your needs.

m0nkey_

MVP
Probably simple question, but I can't find answer quickly.

Because of this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-4-8-3.55500/

I just upgraded to 11.0. All seems to go well. Then I created VM with CentOS. Pretty intuitive (also no documentation).
a. Added CD, pointed to ISO
b. Added Disk. This one I had to think about as I didn't have any ZVols. So, I did create one on my main pool and set it to AHCI

Install went fine and now after figuring VNC (never used it before) I'm able to login to my instance with SSH. Great!

And now I realize that I need to somehow share my Storage. I "suspect" that I need to add it as "DISKS" to VM. But all of my storage setup as Datasets, not ZVols.

What should I do?
If you're using VMs, you have to use either SMB or NFS shares to access data on FreeNAS.

http://doc.freenas.org/11/sharing.html#unix-nfs-shares

Artion

Patron
AFAIK only with jails you can mount datasets on FN directly in mountpoints within them. With VMs the only way to get to the storage of your FN is by the network.

katit

Contributor
Well, maybe that's what I need. My goal is to setup Crashplan backup in this VM. And Crashplan doesn't backup network shares. But maybe it will work if I do it for Linux?

Artion

Patron
Well, you can mount the shares as a local mountpoints in your VM, ex. /mnt/backup and make Crashplan back it up.

scrappy

Patron
Export the shares you'd like to backup on FreeNAS as NFS. In your VM, create mount points for those NFS shares and add the FreeNAS shares to your /etc/fstab to make them permanent.

Example:
192.168.3.10:/mnt/tank/ /mnt/tank nfs rw,sync,hard 0 0

Read up on how to use NFS on FreeNAS and mounting NFS shares in Linux.

katit

Contributor
Export the shares you'd like to backup on FreeNAS as NFS. In your VM, create mount points for those NFS shares and add the FreeNAS shares to your /etc/fstab to make them permanent.

Example:

Will try that. I have a side question though. Since it's crashplan, how will it know that file change happened with NFS? I thought the way it works - it's got access to lower level and monitors storage. Will it just periodically scan everything?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Crashplan doesn't backup network shares.
Of course it does--it's been doing it for over a year for me. I run Crashplan in a Ububtu VM (on a separate host from my FreeNAS box), and mount NFS exports of the directories I want to backup. Those then back up to Crashplan Central.

scrappy

Patron
Will try that. I have a side question though. Since it's crashplan, how will it know that file change happened with NFS? I thought the way it works - it's got access to lower level and monitors storage. Will it just periodically scan everything?

Correct. It cannot detect changes as they happen using NFS shares. When it runs its verification scan it will pick up the changes. You can set how often this happens.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Example:

You could also use smb, just a note for anyone reading this in the future.
Crashplan keeps a list of all files. It scans things in a schedule that you have configured under settings. Also from an applications perspective it can't tell the difference between a NFS mount and any other directory in the system. With Linux/bsd they all look the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.