External access to FreeNAS 11.0 VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Cadet
Hi guys,

I am a FreeNAS noob, and my Google-fu keeps turning up solutions to other types of problems so I'm left posting here for help.

Current Status
: I was able to install Centos 7 onto FreeNAS 11.0 and access it using VNC on port 5901 no problemo.

My goal: I want to run a few Linux VMs on my FreeNAS box (its a beefy machine) and I want to ssh directly into those VMs from my workstation, but I cannot find a way configuring it.

My problem: I can't find a setting to connect port 22 (or any other port) that my Centos VM is listening on to the outside network so my Workstation in another room can directly connect to the VM.

Additional information if it helps:
  1. I would like to eventually have a few VM's running various web services on my FreeNAS box (eg Gitlab etc) so my question isn't limited to only port 22.
  2. My FreeNAS server has 4 physical NIC's and the FreeNAS GUI responds on all of them at port 80.
  3. Whenever I try to setup an Interface on the FreeNAS GUI, I lose all connection, so I never touched that again.
  4. I thought setting them up as VMs would be simpler than running my web services as Docker containers, however if Docker is simpler to achieve my purpose, I don't mind taking that approach for now.
  5. I only have one physical server and I rather run FreeNAS on the metal because the data it is also holding is incredibly valuable to me so I wouldn't virtualize FreeNAS.

Thoughts?

scrappy

Patron
Did you configure your CentOS install with an SSH server running on it? In your CentOS VNC session, type systemctl status sshd and this ought to show the SSH server daemon active and running. If not, that is likely your problem. Google how to install and/or enable ssh on CentOS. If it is running and you still cannot ssh into it then perhaps CentOS has a firewall blocking port 22. Google how to unblock ports on CentOS firewall. One last thought on the matter: are you trying to ssh to the root user of your CentOS VM? If so, by default, that is disabled.

So once you know SSH is running on CentOS, find your VM's IP address using the ip addr command inside CentOS via VNC. This will show whatever IP the VM was issued by your router. Now, simply ssh user@ip-address.

Trinity

Cadet
Ah it didn't occur to me that the VM would have acquired an external IP address separate from my FreeNAS box. I'm so used to doing these things manually. I see now it acquired 10.0.0.17 from my pfsense router :D As I said, I'm a noob.

Thanks for your quick response!

Status
Not open for further replies.