VM Guest boots only to UEFI shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

windyboi

Explorer
Hi

I have installed a centOS machine on a VM in Freenas 11.0 but after reboot of the FreeNAS server whenever I start the VM I can only see the interactive shell

https://imgur.com/a/dxkEu

Any idea please how to resolve this situation so it can boot to my centos?

Thank you

KrisBee

Wizard
Last edited:

windyboi

Explorer
Thanks for the pointer. My CentOS is version 7. I managed to get into the Boot Manager and selected EFI Hard drive but get this error: https://imgur.com/a/RHLX8.

Also, just to clarify - you are suggesting I go ahead and follow the steps in post 1 of that linked thread? Thank you

KrisBee

Wizard
1. Follow the post in order to exit the UEFI shell and navigate the boot manager screens to get your CentOS VM to boot.

2. Once the VM has booted, check what files already exist under /boot/efi/EFI/ before doing anything else. Post here what you find if necessary.

You didn't say what CentOS iso you are using.

windyboi

Explorer
1. Great, I followed the steps and now have it booted, thank you!
[root@qradarce ~]# cd /boot/efi/EFI/
[root@qradarce EFI]# ls
BOOT centos
[root@qradarce EFI]# ls *
BOOT:
BOOTX64.EFI fbx64.efi
centos:
BOOT.CSV fonts grubenv mmx64.efi shimx64-centos.efi
BOOTX64.CSV grub.cfg grubx64.efi shim.efi shimx64.efi

I am using Centos v7 downloaded the latest minimal ISO just two weeks ago.

KrisBee

Wizard
Your "/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/" and "bootefi/BOOT/centos/ appear to contain the correct efi files and your VM should have booted post-install without the need for intervention. I assume you removed the CD-ROM device from the VM post-install. Don't know what the CVS entries are about. You might have to dig around in the grub config to see what's going on. I don't have a centos iso to hand to try this myself right now.

windyboi

Explorer
Hmm ok, interesting. Well thanks for your assistance, I'll see if I can have a play around and get it to work. If anyone else has the problem here with Centos do let me know! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.