Opening word files crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateC2k

Cadet
I have Free-Nas 8.3.1 RC2.

Whenever I open any word files from the free-nas shares Word 2010 opens and says Contacting: \\SERVERNAME\folder and it just stays there forever. The connection then crashes to the free-nas and I have to do a release renew on the IP address before it opens again.

Does anyone know any quick fixes to this issue?

Edit: This actually happens with Excel also.
Edit2: Just noticed if I use UNC path it doesn't work...but if I use a mapped network drive it does work.

We need to use UNC path though.

Caesar

Contributor
This issue sounds weird have you tried other programs besides word? have you tried opening a text doc using notepad? Which computer are you renewing the IP address for the client PC or the free-nas server?

NateC2k

Cadet
It only happens with our Office 2010 and Office 2013 client computers. I tried adding the free nas UNC path to trusted locations on the office suite, but that doesn't seem to fix the issue. This is happening on our client machines. The free-nas doesn't lock up at all.

Caesar

Contributor
The only thing that I can think is different than the UNC path and a mapped drive is that the mapped drive has already been authenticated. also why do you believe it's a freenas issue vs. a Microsoft/Office issue? Have you googled office & UNC issues?

NateC2k

Cadet
The only thing that I can think is different than the UNC path and a mapped drive is that the mapped drive has already been authenticated. also why do you believe it's a freenas issue vs. a Microsoft/Office issue? Have you googled office & UNC issues?

Sorry...I no longer believe it is a FreeNas issue anymore.

I've been researching issues with Office 2010 and UNC paths for a while now...I do appreciate the help though.

Abigail111

Cadet
Hi there
I have encountered the same question with you.I can not open my word file using this word processing program.
It worked well before i update my setup to windows 8.What should i do ?Is it necessary to change a word program?
Thanks for any suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.